Did a weird thing on install, now browser plugins don't sync with the application

Options
Dan Ray
Dan Ray
Community Member

I stepped up (like half the world, post-Heartbleed, I'm sure) to 1Password, and so far I'm impressed with it. I did a strange thing while installing, though, and it leaves me in a weird situation.

• I installed the demo off the website, and spent several days populating it via the browser plugins (mainly Chrome, but Safari too).
  • I bought the iOS apps, and set up syncing over Dropbox. iCloud sync didn't work and I didn't know why, but didn't spend a lot of time wondering at that point.
  • I bought a website license, and THEN discovered that only the App Store version syncs over iCloud, which is how I'd really prefer to do it.
  • I deleted the website version, then bought the App Store version, and moved my syncing to iCloud, the desktop app synced up to what was in iCloud, and everything seemed fine (AgileBits' awesome customer service folks credited me for my purchase of the download version at my request).
  • So now I have the application on my work and my home macs, syncing to my iPhone and iPad over iCloud, which is all good.

Here's the problem: My browser plugins aren't using the same vault, or are trying to talk to the old version of the application, or something. I've continued to populate the vault via the browser plugins, but the passwords I've added that way don't show up in the application or any of my synced devices. The mini app in my system toolbar is in sync with the application, but the browser plugins don't match at all. And "Open 1Password" from the browser plugin doesn't do anything, which leads me to suspect that the browser plugins are somehow still connected to the now-deleted website version of 1Password.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the browser plugins several times. They can't see the vault that the application (full and mini) sees.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

This knowledge base article may help you. Read the part headed I deleted the beta and installed the release version, now I’m seeing issues. (Although the article refers to removing the beta for your purposes it's the same because the beta is effectively an AgileBits store version.)

I hope that helps. If it doesn't do post back.

Stephen

• Dan Ray
    Dan Ray
    Community Member
    Options

That did something... Browser plugin isn't hooked to the old thing anymore, but it's not hooked to the new thing either.

Screenshot attached. Although you can't see it, 1Password is running while this message is being displayed.

• Dan Ray
    Dan Ray
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

Wow, and then here's a new wrinkle: I just realized that the browser extensions on my two macs are in sync with each other! And the apps and toolbar Minis on both macs are in sync separately!

EDIT: Sorry... the browser extensions WERE in sync before I broke whatever connection the one here on this mac had with its former data store. When I remote-desktop home, I can see items on that machine's browser extensions that I added via browser extension here at work, that aren't in the app on either machine.

• Dan Ray
    Dan Ray
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, I solved this.

I looked in Activity Monitor and found 1Password mini running in there twice.

I opened 1Password and set it NOT to always launch Mini, then I quit, and watched 1Password and one of the two 1Password mini instances go away in Activity Monitor.

Killing the other one did nothing; it auto relaunched instantaneously.

I did "get info" on the one that wouldn't die, and noticed it was running out of ~/.Trash/. The website version that I had been running before is still sitting in my unemptied trash.

I emptied the trash and killed that extra Mini in Activity Monitor, and it DIDN'T come back. Next time I launched 1Password, it installed the Chrome Extension, which found a valid vault, and got the right data in it.

So, that's VERY interesting behavior, that a version of the app sitting in the trash can cause this issue, which can persist across reboots!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Dan,

I'm so glad that @Stephen_C's steps helped you to get things sorted out, although I'm sorry to hear it was such a process! The fact that 1Password can persist from the Trash is a known issue that our developers are working to solve - I wish it hadn't caused you so much trouble, and I'll remind them that we need a fix here soon.

Please do let us know if you run into any further snags, we'd be happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.