Using 1Password with a VPN

Options
tomik
tomik
Community Member

It seems that my VPN is not allowing my browser extension to connect to the mini 1Password. As soon as I turn the VPN off it connects. This is only for Safari. The Chrome extension doesn't work at all. Turning off the VPN every time I want to use 1Password is not an option. Any thoughts on how I can get around this?

I have 1Password 4 installed, Safari 7.0.3 and OSX 10.9.2

Thx

Comments

• Meek
    Options

Hi Tomik,

There are basically 4 things that can interfere with the 1Password browser extensions. I'll run through each so you can let me know if any of them might apply.

1) Proxy server or VPN.

Often in business environments you'll see a proxy server or VPN. Often these route traffic through the proxy or VPN, rather than keeping it locally. 1Password communicates with the extension through web sockets over localhost (127.0.0.1), and depending how they are set up, sometimes theses things can block that connection. If you can configure them to allow communication over localhost, then 1Password should work correctly.

2) Firewall software.

This is a more specific instance, but "security software" or "anti-virus" software may include a firewall as well.

If you're using any firewall or antivirus or security software please let me know which you're using. Also, try temporarily disabling these to see if that helps any.

3) Extension conflicts.

Often you'll see an extension interfere now and again. Any type of javascript blocking software could interfere as well. Things that "block" other things can definitely cause problems. I would suggest disabling all extensions except for 1Password, restart your browser and try again. If it works, one of the extensions was causing an issue. Re-enabling them one at a time should help you locate which one was causing it.

4) Helper process isn't running.

The report would tell us this, but without it, you can check in Activity Monitor - just search for "1Password mini". If you see a result, then it is running. If not, then it is not running.

Let me know if that helps!

• alxfyv
    alxfyv
    Community Member
    edited July 2014
    Options

I'm having the same trouble on a MacBook Air running OS X v. 10.9.4, Safari v. 7.0.5 and 1Password v. 4.1 with the 1Password mini Safari Extension.

In an email from 1Password Support, I was told to setup the VPN "to allow traffic on 127.0.0.1 and/or localhost.” My VPN tech support told me, in essence, to execute the Terminal command "sudo route -nv add 127.0.0.1 homeportal". (The instruction was actually to enter that command with my Gateway Default IPS, nnn,nnn.nnn.nnn. My specific Gateway Default IP Address as revealed by Network Utility is "homeportal". Thus the command above.) I entered this command with apparent success, however, it did not resolve the problem. 1Password mini is still not automatically filling in form data when the VPN is running. Without the VPN running, it does. This implies that there are no issues with security software, nor any extension conflicts, nor that 1Password mini is not running.

1Password Support also suggested that I "whitelist" 1Password. I do not know what "whitelist" means, nor do I know how to whitelist either the 1Password app or the Safari extension 1Password mini.

My VPN tech support also stated that this is a known bug in 1Password which AgileBits' software engineers have not managed to correct.

My questions are:
    -- (1) Is this a bug for which there is no workaround and should I thus stop trying to fix it?
    -- (2) Can you tell me
    ---- (a) what "whitelist" means and how to do it on my system,
    ---- (b) whether I should whitelist the 1Password app or the 1Password mini extension and
    ---- (c) is there some other workaround that has not yet been discussed?

Thank you for any help or replies. They will be much appreciated.

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also seeing this issue using 1Password when using an SSH tunnel as a SOCKS Proxy.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @alxfyv and @kop48,

I'm sorry to hear you're having VPN and proxy issues with 1Password.

We'd like to work with you directly in email to resolve this. To do that please send us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, along with a link to this topic and your forum username, to support+forum@agilebits.com.

A brief comment here mentioning that you've sent the report would also be helpful. Once we've reviewed it we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• alxfyv
    alxfyv
    Community Member
    Options

Diagnostic Report generated and attached to email and email sent Mon. 7.14.2014 22:25.

The "Create eMail" button generated a new mail message addressed to "Agile Support Jedi" (support@agilebits.com}. I added an additional addressee, support+forum@agilebits.com, as directed in sjk's post above.

Thanks sjk.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It worked, @alxfyv -- thanks for sending that in! :)

We'll review it and follow up directly through email as soon as possible with answers to your questions and suggestions for resolving your problem.

internal reference number: PEV-14671-342

This discussion has been closed.