Sync to multiple locations?? 1PasswordAnywhere + iCloud

Options
Geraint Palmer
Geraint Palmer
Community Member

Hay,

Loving the new 1Password 4.0 except for one thing, I used to be able to sync to iCloud and Dropbox... now I can't. :( it will only use one location which is a pain, I can guess why as I bet it's potentially a syncing nightmare.. however the way I used it iCloud to sync my devices and dropbox just for "read only" emergency (web) access to my vaults it worked perfectly and was incredibly useful.

And I know that the stock response is going to be: Just use Dropbox instead, here in lies the problem, I have multiple dropbox accounts and not all my devices use the same accounts (work/personal etc..) so I can't use it to sync them.

So here is my question, is there a way I can manually sync / export the 1PasswordAnywhere files to dropbox some way?
I've been looking at the core files and the backup files but their all sqlite files as apposed to .agilekeychain format used in dropbox.. :(

or better yet a Backup to dropbox, feature request would be the holy grail!! so anyone who choses to use iCloud doesn't lose out on the really cool feature that is 1PasswordAnywhere.. + it would maybe open the door to serving your own 1PasswordAnywhere files from your own server.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Gaz

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Geraint Palmer‌,

Loving the new 1Password 4.0

Thanks! I'm glad you're loving it.

it will only use one location which is a pain, I can guess why as I bet it's potentially a syncing nightmare

Your guess is absolutely correct. It's bad enough that we had to sadly change to a single sync option per vault. We really love having the dual-sync setup but it was a nightmare for many of our customers and our support to maintain.

however the way I used it iCloud to sync my devices and dropbox just for "read only" emergency (web) access to my vaults it worked perfectly and was incredibly useful.

So here is my question, is there a way I can manually sync / export the 1PasswordAnywhere files to dropbox some way?

Yes, here's how it would work:

1. Disable iCloud sync, do not check the box to delete data from iCloud
    2. Enable Dropbox, let it sync, and once it does, you disable Dropbox, and switch back to iCloud.

Just use Dropbox instead, here in lies the problem, I have multiple dropbox accounts and not all my devices use the same accounts (work/personal etc..) so I can't use it to sync them.

That shouldn't be a problem because we do let you sync to a specific Dropbox account inside 1Password app.

it would maybe open the door to serving your own 1PasswordAnywhere files from your own server.

Right now, we still have some plans to overhaul 1PasswordAnywhere in the future to support the new coming OPVault format for Dropbox. OPvault is identical to the current Cloud Keychain being used for iCloud, which mean you could techncially use 1PasswordAnywhere between both iCloud/Dropbox if Apple ever plans to release iCloud's Data and Documents on the iCloud.com site.

We actually got a request to make it possible to serve 1PasswordAnywhere from the iOS app. The iOS app would serve as a lightweight web server and you can connect to it via your local home network.

• Geraint Palmer
    Geraint Palmer
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT‌ Thanks for the advice, didn't realise the latest version of the IOS app had internalised the dropbox connection, instead of authorising against the installed dropbox app, i'll look at that..

Will also look forwards to 1PW anywhere updates..

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Geriant,

I'm glad to hear that @MikeT's advice was helpful. I'll be sure to mention to our developers that you're keen on a 1PasswordAnywhere update. :)

This discussion has been closed.