Where oh where did my Password Generator go?

Options
pmaggieb
pmaggieb
Community Member

I am running 1Password 4.4 on my Mac. The Password Generator used to be under Favorites but now it is gone. This problem started before I upgraded to 4.4. I hoped the upgrade would clear up the problem but it did not.

I am a new user so maybe I am looking in the wrong place. Can anyone help?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pmaggieb‌

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with 1Password right now. That is a strange issue indeed - the Password Generator should still be underneath the Favourites category.

If you're seeing something different, could you please take a screenshot of your 1Password Mini? There are instructions on how to take a screenshot here: http://take-a-screenshot.org/. You can save the image to a service like Dropbox and include a link in your reply, or attach it using the 'Attach a file' button below the comment field here.

• pmaggieb
    pmaggieb
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan, I have attached a screenshot. It used to be under Favorites but as you will see, now it is gone.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pmaggieb‌

Thanks so much for including the screenshot. I think you might be mistaking the Mini for the main app - there was never a password generator in the sidebar there. If you need to create a password using the main app, simply click the '+' icon next to the search field in the top menu bar and select 'Password' from the list. Previously generated passwords can be found in the 'Passwords' category in the sidebar.

I hope this helps! I apologize for the confusion.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

@pmaggieb‌ are you looking for it in the main application (as opposed to in 1P mini)? If so it will magically appear if you edit a login item (for example) and click on the little circle at the end of the password field.

(Sorry, posted at the same time as Megan!)

Stephen

• pmaggieb
    pmaggieb
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your responses but I am still confused. I guess I don't know the difference between the main application and the mini. I only have one application for 1Password in my application folder. When I first started using this software the Password Generator was visible. I don't know how I wound up with the mini version. And yes, clicking the + symbol and selecting Password works so I guess I can use that. How do I know the difference between the main app and the mini?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pmaggieb,

You can read all about 1Password Mini in our blog here. Basically, the key icon in your menu bar gives you quick access to all your 1Password data (including the password generator), even if the main app is closed.

1Password Mini is automatically installed along with 1Password, and it helps the browser extensions to work their filling magic in your browser.

I hope this helps to explain things, but please do let me know if you have any further questions!

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

1P mini is what you launch when browsing by pressing ⌥ + ⌘ + \ (which just launches it) or ⌘ + \ (to fill in a login for you). Try pressing the first of those key combinations and you'll see 1P mini pop up for you.

Stephen

• pmaggieb
    pmaggieb
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks again.

• Jasper
    edited May 2014
    Options

On behalf of Megan and Stephen, you're welcome.

Please let us know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.