Apple ID Hacked - Is My Information Safe?

Options
Daniel Tritch
Daniel Tritch
Community Member

Hello,

Since 1Password syncs through iCloud, is my information safe even thought my Apple ID was hacked? I am extremely concerned that they now have ALL of my passwords and logins. Please answer quickly as I am extremely concerned that all of my information is out there now.

Comments

• Daniel Tritch
    Daniel Tritch
    Community Member
    Options

I guess what I want to know - is there some kind of backup on iCloud that is not encrypted or password protected?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm not even with AgileBits and I can categorically state there isn't a non-encrypted version of your 1Password database running around. A bold statement I'm sure you'll agree. From what I've read on these forums if you've been syncing through iCloud then you're actually using there newer file format (assuming you are indeed running 1Password 4) that they're in the process of transitioning all platforms to. I can understand your concern but I'd say rest easy on this one. The only way to gain access to your passwords would be standard brute-force/dictionary attacks.

• Daniel Tritch
    Daniel Tritch
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so much for your reply! It is a relief to hear this. Though I believe you, could someone from AgileBits confirm this before I spend all day changing passwords? Ha!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Daniel,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've had your AppleID hacked - that's never fun!

Now as @littlebobbytables‌ says above, your data stored in iCloud is indeed encrypted. Even if someone were to acquire a copy of your 1Password data file, it would be extremely difficult (approaching impossible in a human lifetime) for them to actually gain access to your passwords without your Master Password. You can see the thoughts behind our data format's design here.

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/Security/keychain-design.html

Also, you can check out our blog for many more articles that go into the nitty gritty math behind what makes 1Password so secure.

http://blog.agilebits.com/tag/cryptography_/

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions or concerns!

This discussion has been closed.