Feature request: Single-character challenges

Options
neapel
neapel
Community Member

Hi,

there are a number of british banks, for example RBS or
NAB Group using a kind of challenge-response scheme, where the login form doesn't ask for the entire password but instead for single characters, like "enter the 1st / 2nd / 4th digits of your PIN" or "enter the 12th / 3rd / 14th character of your password", one field per character. The thinking seems to be that this prevents the user from revealing their password; however currently I actually have to display my passwords openly in 1Password while I count out characters instead of having them auto-filled unseen.

It would be perfect if the browser plugins would detect this kind of challenge and just fill the appropriate characters automatically.

Or, provide some help with these kinds of counting exercises, for example, display the password with wider spacing and the index number above each character, to avoid counting manually.

Cheers,

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Or, provide some help with these kinds of counting exercises, for example, display the password with wider spacing and the index number above each character, to avoid counting manually.

There are several users who are doing this for themselves by putting the spaced-out password in the Notes field, and then adding the position numbers above or below that.

Your request has appeared here before, and this seems to be the best work around for now. I also know that AgileBits folks have acknowledge interest in assisting with this circumstance, but I haven't any idea whether progress is being made. It would surprise me a great deal if there is an automatic solution possible, but then, I've been surprised before.

This discussion has been closed.