New login entries made?

Options
coreyd
coreyd
Community Member

I love the password generator on the mini-1pw interface in my menu bar. However, I've noticed that for some reason, it appears to add password entries to my main 1pw vault. I click the menu, go to the generator, click on the "fill" button dropdown to select "copy", and as soon as I do, a new password entry appears that has a website name of whatever my current url is, and the password I just copied - everything else is blank (aside from created/modified date). It's acting like it's "helping" me by making an entry for the site I'm currently on, whereas what I really want is to just get a fricking password.

It's not plugin related; when I closed both firefox and chrome, and then chose a password, it created an entry with a name of "Finder" and a website of "com.apple.finder". It also doesn't seem to matter whether or not I have the main 1pw application open or not. I just did it while writing this, and it created an entry with a title of "discussions.agilebits.com", a website of "http://discussions.agilebits.com/post/discussion/1password-for-mac".

This is really scaring me, because I'm afraid that if I am inadvertently on a url that is already in my vault, it might update that entry without my knowledge - I do NOT want anything to change in my vault unless I explicitly ask it to. I've been unsuccessful in changing logins automagically for sites with existing entries (the chrome popup comes up asking me if I want to change it, but it just adds a new entry for the change-password page as opposed to changing the original entry, so I change them by hand now), and I'm afraid that something I may do could cause 1password to "help" me in such a way that when I go back to get critical information, it's not where I left it or has been changed. Perhaps I'm paranoid, but these passwords control my life.

Is there a way to turn off this auto-creation of these extra password entries? I just purchased a license, I'm using this:

1Password 4
Version 4.4 (440002)
Agile Web Store

Comments

• coreyd
    coreyd
    Community Member
    Options

One other minor thing: I purchased the license, it added it my 1password vault, with a creation date of today and a modified date of 12/31/69. Not a big deal, just figured you'd want to know - it mars slightly an incredibly easy-to-use product.

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @coreyd,

This is expected behaviour. If you generate a new password, 1Password will automatically save it to the Passwords category. We do this to ensure the password is saved, in case you accidentally forgot to save it.

This is really scaring me, because I'm afraid that if I am inadvertently on a url that is already in my vault, it might update that entry without my knowledge

An existing login won't be automatically updated with a generated password. You will always be prompted before 1Password will update an existing item.

I'm afraid that something I may do could cause 1password to "help" me in such a way that when I go back to get critical information,

In addition, each item's old passwords are saved in the previous used passwords list.

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

This discussion has been closed.