Your documentation is lacking and I have a few questions

Options
em7Hizqc6uUDyY
em7Hizqc6uUDyY
Community Member

I have been using 1Password for years and been very happy but over time as you have expanded it features you have not published documentation on what to expect with change. So here is a few questions I have right now that if someone could explain would be great.

I know what Optimize Database means in general but when should it be used or when not to be used? I am taking about the feature under "Help>Tools>Optimize Database" Mac version 4.4. Like only use when you are having problems? or use here and there just to keep your data clean and up to date and clean for errors. My database is over 500 entries shared with 3 macs 3 IOS devices and 5 vaults and this is over 2 years of use and crashes.

I run 5 vaults some shared and some not. On my main mac that I call my master home unit it has all 5 vaults with 2 of them shared, and all 5 have blue rings around the key to switch vaults. On my work mac I have the Primary vault that is shared out from the master and it has a blue ring around the key. But my other vault that I access on my work mac does not have a blue ring around the key, so why? What does a blue ring around the key mean?

This is all for now but if you publish some detail documentation I think a lot of your tech support would go down as the end user would know what to expect and what not to do to prevent a problem down the road.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @em7Hizqc6uUDyY,

I do apologize that our documentation is a little bit thin at this point. We've got a team working on updating and polishing our docs now, and we'll do our best to have

I know what Optimize Database means in general but when should it be used or when not to be used? I am taking about the feature under "Help>Tools>Optimize Database" Mac version 4.4.

Optimize database will remove the Conflict section in entries and clean up old tombstone files (which are the remnants of your deleted items.) Please use File > Backup to create a fresh backup of your database before using this tool, just in case. :)

As far as the colour of your vault icon goes, this is a purely cosmetic thing. When you create a new secondary vault, you have the option to customize the details (as listed here in our Multiple Vaults tutorial). Here's what my vaults currently look like:

But it's no problem if all your vaults are blue. :) It's not a simple matter to change this after the vault has been created, but our developers are looking into adding this feature in the future.

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions!

This discussion has been closed.