I'd like a way to make 1Password enter the password when the application forbids pasting

Options
rowen
rowen
Community Member

A few web sites (such as ebay) don't don't accept pasted text in password fields when changing passwords. The issue isn't logging in, the issue is how to enter the newly generated password when changing passwords.

It would really help if I could convince 1Password to enter a password into one or more web fields THAT I SPECIFY e.g. by right-clicking. This saves trying to set up 1P's entry so it can figure out the fields automatically (which isn't useful for a "change password" page anyway, since it's a one-time operation).

For example today I tried using ebay's change password page and I tried entering the basic URL into my 1P entry, but when I clicked go and fill, it didn't just fill in the new password field and the "confirm new password" field; instead it went of to some other page. Not useful.

It was a nightmare, because ebay has obscure rules about passwords that they don't publish. Thus I had to try repeatedly until I found one it would take, and I had to type each trial in by hand, twice. Not fun.

Comments

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

Like you (and many others), I spent some time yesterday updating my eBay password.

As you say, you can't copy and paste, but at least with my setup (1Password 4.4.1.BETA-3 441003, OS X 10.93), clicking Fill in the 1Password mini password generator filled in the new password and confirmation copy with no problem.

What did take me some time at first, however, was making sure I had first properly edited the password to exclude all but the few special characters eBay allows.

In any event I don't think 1Password is the culprit here.

• gekkoh
    gekkoh
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same issue with eBay. It has weird password creation rules and disables copy/paste.

I hope 1Password will somehow overcome this limitation in a useful manner.

• rowen
    rowen
    Community Member
    Options

It had not occurred to me to use 1P Mini to change my password (I prefer to use the full application). It would be great if "Fill" was an option in the application (apparently as it is in Mini).

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

I can't recreate In my memory every step I took to change my eBay password, but I know for sure that whatever I did, it did not require me to type in the new password manually. I am almost certain that when I went to the change password page, I had 1Password fill my existing password. I then went to the password generator in mini and clicked on Fill next to the new password. It was filled in automatically to the new password field (and the confirmation field too, if there is one at eBay). I also know that when 1Password fills for you, it does not do so by copying and pasting. I assume that since I let 1Password fill the password into the appropriate field, eBay didn't object and I was successful in changing to a new password. Afterwards, 1Password did ask me if I wanted to modify my existing eBay record, which I did. Done!

In short, what @DavidB did.

Separately, I think sites that refuse pasted passwords are encouraging users to pick weak passwords that are easy to type and therefore easy to crack. But perhaps there is a genuine security issue that I have overlooked. I am very glad that 1P can get around these site limitations by typing the password in automatically, rather that copying and pasting.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rowen and @gekkoh‌

I'm sorry to hear that changing your eBay password was a bit of a process for you. Thanks for letting us know that you're interested in a fill option from the main app.

Please give 1Password Mini a try and see how you like the filling feature there. As @DavidB and @hawkmoth suggest, the fill feature is quite handy for quickly changing passwords. In fact, I find I rarely need to use the main app anymore - Mini can do almost everything. :)

This discussion has been closed.