New Purchase. Family Pack not available on Mac App Store

Options
kenbenson
kenbenson
Community Member

I want to purchase 1Password for Mac but need a family pack as we have 3 separate computers. I also want to be able to Sync through iCloud. Your site says that if I want to do this I have to purchase through the Mac App Store but it doesn't show the ability to purchase the Family pack; just the single license for $49.95. If I download the program from your store will I be able to Sync with iCloud. I also need to get the iOS App as well. I am happy to get the program from either location but I want it to work on 3 computers and Sync with iCloud. Please advise.

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Apple makes no provision for the bundled sale of multiple licenses, so you won't be able to get a family license there. However, if you are the user of all three of those computers and they are all using the same AppleID, you won't need to buy more than one copy. You'll be able to use it on all computers with the same AppleID. In fact, if there are three different users and they all share an AppleID, that single copy will serve them all. If all have different AppleIDs, then you'll end up needing to buy three copies if you insist on buying from Apple.

Similarly, if you buy from the AgileBits web store, your license permits you to use it on as many machines of the same platform as you wish. One license would be all you'd need.

If there are three different users, then you're on the right track wanting the family pack. That's what I've done. And I do use iCloud for syncing. It works fine. There is a caution though. Technically, Apple could decide sometime to prevent access to iCloud for any application that wasn't purchased from the App Store. This is the reason AgileBits recommends buying from Apple to those users who are dependent on iCloud. Doing so guards against the chance that Apple might cut off iCloud access to buyers from other sources.

I personally don't worry much about this. I think Apple would be ill-advised to cut off iCloud access like that, but I also have used Dropbox for syncing with equally good results. I wouldn't hesitate to switch back to it.

I also have iOS devices that use 1Passwords.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

Just for the record here. The Apple ID @hawkmoth is referring to is the purchase ID signed into the store with and not the iCloud ID for syncing.

The wife and I share a single Mac App Store / iTunes account for all our purchases. We created this standalone ID just for our combined purchases. Then we each have our own iCloud accounts for syncing, documents etc.

Actually as long as you are comfortable with it. You can use it as a family just as you notate. I personally look at it this way. I allow those residing in my distinct household to use the Apps purchased under the Mac App Store etc. As long as my kids are residing at home with me there is no issue. My son college bound soon. Will remain home for 3 more years while in college. As long as he resides in my home and eats my food and the IRS allows me to count him as a dependent. I feel it is well within my right to allow him access to such apps. * Now once he leaves home and is living on his own I feel it is my responsibility to ensure he buys the apps.

• I actually already purchased 1Password under his own respective Apple ID's outside of my family ID. Just because I value support 1Password. We years ago setup Individual ID's for all my children. The oldest has already begun to buy, apps, movies, tunes etc under his respective account.

Back to the the combined account. It allows us to use the same apps on multiple devices without paying 2,3,4 or more times for that same app. We have access to all songs, movies, iOS apps, MAS apps. The use on multiple devices is within the Mac App Store guidelines.

• Also the above refers to Mac App Store apps. Apps you purchase directly from a vendor have different licensing requirements. Be sure to know and use the app and its license appropriately.

Reference :

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/1p4-sales-faqs.html

However, Apple does allow you to use your AppleID to purchase 1Password and download it for free on the family Macs you own with no restrictions.

• kenbenson
    kenbenson
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much for the quick answers. I understand it now

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

I added some reference material in an edit. Incase you missed that. :D

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I wish my spouse and I had done what @thightower described when we first set up our iTunes account. I've tried to think of a reasonable way to retrace those steps now and use a common account, but it always gives me a headache trying to figure out how to make it work. The 99 cent purchases aren't a big deal, but we each have purchased applications like 1Password for iOS separately, for example., which is more painful. On the desktop for 1Password, as I said, we have a family license.

• kenbenson
    kenbenson
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks again. My wife's computer has a separate Apple ID to sync with iCloud but we use the same Apple ID for iTunes purchases. So if I download 1Password from the Mac App store using our common ID on our different computers, I assume she will be able to sync with iCloud using her Apple ID and I will be able to Sync with iCloud using my Apple ID. Am I correct? Thanks again

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Yes.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@hawkmoth‌

Thats not to say we got it correct the first go round either ;) but thanks to some very smart users here in this very forum. I learned some wisdom about purchases and iTunes accounts. I am just imparting it the same way I learned it. Luckily I was schooled somewhat early on and didn't incur a lot of duplicated expenses.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@AndrewParker

Thanks for that link. I have filed it away for future use. :)

This discussion has been closed.