Syncing via Dropbox is messed up [moved to email]

Options
daphne31
daphne31
Community Member
edited May 2014 in Mac

I have 1P v4.4 on my iMac and on my MBAir, both running Mavericks 10.9.3. I have been using 1P with Dropbox for a while, but lately I have been having syncing problems. For example, I recently updated my eBay password. I manually created a new p/w for eBay on my MBAir in 1P and saved it, a few days ago. Today, I tried to look up the eBay p/w on my iMac. However, it still has the old pw, the change never synced over. Here's what I see when I try to trouble shoot this:

The 1P copy on my MBAir shows the new p/w and shows the old one under Conflicts. It shows that it was last on May 21 at 7:36 am.
My 1P copy on my iMac shows the old p/w and does not show any Conflicts. It shows it was last modified on May 1, 2014, at 10:06 am.

The sync path on my MBAir is: (username-on-my-MBAir) > Dropbox > sync-stuff > 1Password.agilekeychain
The sync path on my iMac is: (username-on-my-iMac) > Dropbox > sync-stuff > 1Password.agilekeychain

On my MBAir, when I look in 1P > Preferences > Sync, it claims it was synced "45 seconds ago" (today is May 24, 2014)
Om my iMac, when I look in 1P > Preferences > Sync, it claims it was synced "20 minutes ago" (on May 24, 2014)

My Dropbox is healthy and syncing files unrelated to 1P normally: I can create or modify files in Dropbox and the changes carry over to other devices in either direction correctly.

Finally, when I look at Finder > Dropbox > sync-stuff > 1Password.agilekeychain, the time stamps are:
Modified 5/18/14, 3:02 pm (on the iMac)
and
Modified 5/17/14, 5:54 pm (on the MBAir)

The above is just an example. I have several of these now in my 1P database....

I am confused by the discrepancies in time stamps. And I am frustrated by the syncing problems. furthermore, since I have been adding or modifying passwords on both machines (iMac and MBAir) at different times, trusting that sync works, I do not have a single master copy that I can easily use to start over. Both copies have their own conflicts.

What is the best way to fix this? Thank you.

Comments

• daphne31
    daphne31
    Community Member
    Options

A follow-up:

I am still looking for help... What is the best way to fix this syncing problem?

My iMac's 1P copy has 33 entries with Conflict fields.

My MBAir's 1P copy has 48 entries with Conflict fields. These are different from the iMac's. In each case, it seems to be items that were initially edited (updated) on that machine.

I have cases where I updated a password on the MBAir, and the change is reflected on the iMac correctly, but the MBAir now shows a Conflict field with the old password.

I am looking for help to:

1. If possible avoid the long and manual process of checking each one of my 347 1P entries.

but mainly,

1. However I fix it, I need to understand what went wrong in order to avoid this from happening again!

Can anyone help? Many thanks in advance.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @daphne31‌

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been having trouble keeping things synced up. I think our best option here is to reset sync to ensure that everything is on the right page.

First however, I want to address your Conflicts issue. Conflicts show up when 1Password is unable to determine which edit has the newer information. Both edits are saved to ensure that data is not lost. There are two ways to resolve these conflicts:

1. If you have a backup that includes all your updated passwords from before the conflicts started showing up, you can use File > Restore to restore to this backup.
    2. You can create a new Smart Folder (File > New Smart Folder) and select 'Conflict Fields' 'are' present. This will show you all entries that have Conflict fields so you can easily edit the ones that need updating.

Now, here's how to reset sync to ensure that all your devices are using the same file:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service and choose 'Disable Sync’.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Mac and iOS devices.

• Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select Open. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable Dropbox sync. That should get everything on the same page for sure.

I hope this gets things sorted out for you, but please let me know if you have any further questions!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @daphne31‌

I see that someone from our support team is working with you via email. We'll keep the conversation going directly there so that we don't create any confusion or duplicate our efforts. :)

This discussion has been closed.