How do i know where my Vault is?

Options
jonowales
jonowales
Community Member
edited May 2014 in Mac

Having looked around i can't find within 1Password a "your Vault is located at....." unless i'm missing something?

I can see on my Preferences that there are 3 options for my vault: Dropbox, iCloud and Folder and I thought it was the case that my vault was on my Dropbox, but when i went to it, it indicates that it has not been Modified or Opened since 16th Jan14.

Is it that OSX doesn't reflect 1Password changes in the "info" of the 1Password folder (i.e. this Dropbox folder attached IS my Vault) or is it that i have a Vault located elsewhere, if so, how do i find that please? Or how do i confirm that this 16thJan folder is correct?

1Password4 for MAC

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jonowales‌

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems here. First of all, I'd just like to clarify something with respect to the 'Modified' date of the 1Password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox.

I thought it was the case that my vault was on my Dropbox, but when i went to it, it indicates that it has not been Modified or Opened since 16th Jan14.

The 1Password.agilekeychain file is actually a bundle of many files and folders. Each entry in your database is stored as a separate file within these folders. When a file is changed, the operating system will update the 'Modified' date of the changed item and the folder that holds it, but only on the first level. So your 1Password.agilekeychain will note show that it has been modified, even though many files inside may have been updated.

Now, if your Preferences > Sync pane is showing you the options of Dropbox, iCloud and Folder Sync, then the vault that you are currently viewing is not set up to sync. This means that your data is stored in the default location within the Library folder. We can easily set it up to sync to Dropbox, and you have the option then to save a new keychain, or merge with the existing keychain in Dropbox.

In order to get this sorted out, I'll need to know a little bit more about your 1Password ecosystem:

• What are the version numbers of 1Password and your operating system for all computers and devices running 1Password?
    • On which computer or device is your most up-to-date data?
    • Do you have multiple vaults enabled?

Once we know more about your set-up, we can provide you instructions on how to get things synced up again.

• jonowales
    jonowales
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,
    Your exceptionally comprehensive answer gave me everything i needed to know.
    I was able to read up and swap all my syncing over to iCloud across all my Apple devices; so all is good thank you very much.
    I'm very glad i put the message up, I don't know how my syncing had stopped, but it's all fixed now
    Many thanks,
    Jonathan

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Jonathan ( @jonowales‌ ),

Thanks so much for taking the time to write in and let me know that you're all sorted out! I'm so glad that my answer helped.

Since this issue is resolved, I'll close this thread, but if you have any further questions, don't hesitate to open up a new thread, or send us an email at support@ agilebits .com, we're happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.