Unresponsive Safari Extension 4.2.1

Options
Gallamor
Gallamor
Community Member

Hello,

I apologise if this has appeared elsewhere, my search foo is weak.

On both my 2013 MBA and 2010 iMac (both running 1Password 4.4.1 and the Safari Extension 4.2.1, Safari 7.0.4, and Mavericks 10.9.3), I see the following behaviour:

1. If Safari has been running for some hours, clicking the Safari Extension button brings no response. The button depresses, but there are no error messages, and there is no dialogue to enter my 1Password password to access the key store.

2. If I restart Safari, it begins working as expected (requesting the key store password, and filling forms)

3. If I open 1Password, or 1Password mini, I get the request for my key store password as expected in those programs. Once entered, after two or three clicks, the browser extension starts to work.

From this behaviour, it almost looks like the browser extension is having difficulty coming out of sleep mode and requesting credentials; whether this is from the browser side or the extension side, I cannot tell.

Overall, this is a minor annoyance; because once I do the dance of either restarting the browser, or opening 1Password, it works again for the entirety of that session.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Gallamor‌

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the extension right now. Thanks so much for including your version numbers in the original post - it helps a lot!

Now, the first thing I notice is that you are missing an update to the extension. If your extension has not automatically updated to version 4.2.2 (which includes a lot of great fixes), let's try reinstalling the 1Password 4 browser extension for Safari.

Please follow these steps:

• Open Safari.
    • Click Safari > Preferences in the menu bar.
    • Click the Extensions tab.
    • Click "Uninstall" for the 1Password 4 extension.
    • Restart your Mac.
    • Launch Safari and visit the following page: https://agilebits.com/browsers/index.html
    • Click the big green button, and follow the instructions on the new page to install the extension.

I hope that version 4.2.2 fixes your issue, but if you're still seeing this odd behaviour, do let us know and we'll investigate further!

• Gallamor
    Gallamor
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Megan,

I have a bit more information. Yes, it is still a problem.

I have updated the browser extension to 4.2.2; and while it is a bit better; the browser extension still takes a long time (+2 minutes or more) to open the Master Password dialogue. (The reason I say possibly more than 2 minutes is that after this time, I usually lose patience and either restart the browser or use the mini tool to enter the Master password. The browser extension then wakes up about 30 seconds later).

This only seems to affect the extension on browsers that have been up for more than a day and have had a significant amount of idle time.

Once the Master Password has been entered (either in the mini app or in the full sized one), the browser extension does eventually wake up and operate normally.

I've seen some complaints out on the 'net of similar behaviour- perhaps there is something different about the communication between the extension and the keystore for the initial handshake and credentials?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Gallamor,

We'll need to take a closer look at your system here to determine where things are getting tangled up. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/diagnostic-report.html

(Please be sure to select the tab that corresponds to the version of 1Password you have installed currently)

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been closed.