4 Security - Need for User/Admin Usage

Options
Jonathan Wittig
Jonathan Wittig
Community Member

Hey guys,

I have a question about 1Password 4 Mac. I am using this app about 2-3 weeks. The first thing I noticed was, that when I am using the app in the browser for filling in the Logins and Data - at the same time I have the right to open the App and to view all the Passwords, Giro/Credit Card Pins in Plain Language - all safe Information.

In think this is a security gap - A Person just needs a minute to view my Pins/Passwords and remember and use it when necessary. I mean, yes - i can lock the app when I am off my computer - but I don't want to often retype the master password for using it in the Browser when I just getting a water bottle at my workplace.

It would be great to have a User Mode: Where I can type in a Master Password to use in the Browser for Logins, where i often use it and it will lock automatically as defined (like it is now) - but when I want to edit Data in the App or to view the Pins/Passwords in Plain Language I should type in the Master Password again. I don't often need to edit data - so it is no stress to retype the Master Password - but I often use it for Logins, and so I don't want to retype it often just for Logins when i am shortly Off - I could use a short Master Password - but the Master Password should be secure - shouldn't it?

In the this way - a Person can Login in to my Online Accounts when I am Off - of course - but is not able to change passwords, look for pins - and then steel debit/credit cards and use it.

Sry, for my bad english!

I hope you understand in the right way

Thanks, Jonathan

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for taking the time to write in with such detailed feedback here! You're correct, in 1Password 4 the lock settings for 1Password are the same for both the main app and 1Password Mini (and the browser extensions). One of the reasons for this is that 1Password Mini has nearly all of the functionality of the main app. You can view the details of all your Logins and even edit the entry without opening the main app. So there's very little point to locking the main app while the browser extension remains unlocked.

I have a few options that can make your experience a bit more secure in a public environment:

• Change your lock settings in Preferences > Security to be more strict. I use a 'lock after computer is idle for 1 minute' setting, so that as long as I continue to use my computer 1Password is accessible for me, but I know that it will lock quickly if I do step away.
    • Ensure that 'Conceal Passwords' is selected in the View menu. This will obscure your passwords (and credit card numbers) so that anyone who might be peeking over your should will see no important information.
    • If all else fails, Control-Option-Command-L will lock 1Password instantly.

I know this isn't quite the same as your request for Admin/User mode, but I hope these tips help!

This discussion has been closed.