Password too long for autofill? [Resolved, Save new Login]

Options
trent714
trent714
Community Member
edited July 2014 in Mac

I have a 55 character password for a specific login and 1Password for Mac will not autofill the password. It seems to clip the last part of it or something because it only appears to be about 10-12 character password when I use the keyboard shortcut to enter the info.

Is there a solution to this? Copy & Paste works fine.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi @trent714‌

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble here. Since copy and paste are working fine for you here, I'm wondering if the site in question might have some hidden restrictions on what length a password can be. Sometimes, a website will have an invisible cap on what can be typed in the password field. If you type in a password that is longer than the acceptable length, you may notice that the final characters that you type are not being logged. Of course, if you are using our strong password generator to generate super-secure-long-password, you wouldn’t notice that the website is silently ignoring the last few characters, and saving super-secure-long-pa instead. When you copy and paste the password in, it works in such a way that the website sees the "super-secure-long-pa” part and can still ignore the excess. Filling with 1Password works a little bit differently though, so you might get an incorrect password warning.

The best solution here is to determine if there are any hidden password restrictions for the site and create a fresh password that fits within those restrictions.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

There's an example of what Megan is referring to actually on the first page of threads of this forum and I know Microsoft do something equally dumb as well - sigh.

• trent714
    trent714
    Community Member
    Options

The site is Simple.com

I've contacted their support to see if it is a problem on their end. Simple encourages pass phrases over passwords. So I would assume they would be able to withstand a longer password. My previous password with them was 30 characters and worked fine with 1passwords autofill.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @trent714‌

Thanks so much for sending along the URL! I've spoken with a teammate who has a simple.com account and he says that 1Password fills a 50 character Login just fine here. Could you try saving a new Login like this:

• Edit the login that you currently have for this website by appending an "Old" to the title - just so you can tell them apart.
    • Visit the site and fill in the fields you want filled. Do NOT click the login button.
    • Click the 1Password extension, and unlock it if necessary.
    • Click the gear icon (or vault icon if multiple vaults are enabled) in the upper right corner.
    • Select Save new login.
    • Give the entry a unique and identifiable title.
    • Click Save.
    • Revisit the site and see if 1Password fills in the site correctly.

Please let me know if this helps.

• trent714
    trent714
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @Megan‌

I wanted to update you that this solution worked great for me. I can now use the autofill again!

Thanks for your help.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @trent714‌

Thanks so much for letting me know that auto-fill is behaving once again! I'm glad to hear that worked for you. Since this issue is nicely sorted out now, I'll close this thread, but if you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to open a new thread, or email us directly at support@ agilebits .com - we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.