Password for each vault; item update/sync issue

Options
Phillip Baumgärtner
Phillip Baumgärtner
Community Member
edited July 2014 in Mac

Hi there,

I use 1Password on a computer with two people and would like to protect the private safes.

Safe 1 (primary): Joint vault
Safe 2: Private vault 1
Safe 3: Private vault 2

The vault 1 use both persons, the other 2 safes should be accessible only for each Persons.

It is only asked for the password of the primary vault. Why I do not need to make each safe?

by, Phillip

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Phillip,

I'd like to explain just a little bit about how 1Password's multiple vault feature was designed. We may need to reconsider how your vaults are currently set up.

1Password's new multiple vault feature was designed so that you still only have to remember one password, no matter how many vaults you create. Your primary vault holds the encryption keys for all of your secondary vaults. This means that unlocking your primary vault will give you quick and easy access to all of your data, regardless of which vault it is stored in.

However, you still can unlock a secondary vault on its own. In the main app, use 1Password > Switch Vault menu. (In the 1Password mini, click on the lock image on the lock screen to select the secondary vault.) Please note that when you unlock the secondary vault alone, all other vaults will remain locked. You won't be able to copy items between vaults, and you will need to enter your Master Password to view another vault.

Now, if you want to have two private vaults and one shared vault, here's how I would recommend setting it up:

• Create separate user accounts for each user on the Mac
    • Each user will have their own primary vault in 1Password, with their personal information stored inside
    • Create a secondary vault and share this between accounts for the joint information

This will allow you to keep your personal information secure and still share the information that you wish to.

Please let me know if you're interested in moving to this set-up, I'd be happy to provide you with some more detailed instructions on how to make this work. :)

• Phillip Baumgärtner
    Phillip Baumgärtner
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there,

thanks for the reply. That makes sense.
    But we have another problem. We use it now on multiple Mac and Windows computers and I've noticed that a password that I have changed, suddenly the old password is stored.

What has happened?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Phillip,

You're welcome, on behalf of @Megan. We're both happy to hear that her reply was helpful. :)

I have a few questions to help better understand your password problem:

Is 1Password currently configured on all of your Mac and Windows systems to use Dropbox for syncing data between them?

Did you change the password for one of your Login items? Which system did you make that change on and where did the old password show up afterwards? Do any items now have the new password?

The more information you can provide, the sooner we'll be able to get to get this sorted out for you. :)

• Phillip Baumgärtner
    Phillip Baumgärtner
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @sjk,

the vault is located on a file server to multiple Macs and accessing multiple Windows Recher same time.

The Problem: I have a password created and changed it again a day later. One day later again is again the old password in it. This is due not only to a single occurrence, but has occurred in other passwords.
    I can rule out that someone has changed the password back, because it is used only by me.

Sounds to me after a cache problem.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Phillip,

It does sound like sync has gotten disconnected somewhere. In order to get this sorted out, I'll need to know a little bit more about your 1Password ecosystem:

• What are the version numbers of 1Password and your operating system for all computers and devices running 1Password?
    • What are you using to keep things in sync? It sounds to me like you're using Folder Sync, but I'd love to confirm that.

The more detail you can provide, the more quickly we'll be able to get you sorted out! :)

• Phillip Baumgärtner
    Phillip Baumgärtner
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Hello @Megan,

yes, all 1password versions in the network use Folder Sync via the server.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Phillip Baumgärtner,

We're going to need a little more information I'm afraid. We're going to be very interested in knowing what version of 1Password you're running in each location you currently have syncing set up with.

I am also curious as to your precise Folder Sync setup. Do you simply have a network share attached on every machine and you've pointed all copies of 1Password directly at the location and what kind of read/write privileges are in place for each person? I would hope ownership isn't an issue on a network share so we'll ignore that possibility for now.

I also assume this issue has continued during the entire period between our last message and your current one. Can I ask, is it only if you edit the items from this machine that it happens or does the issue happen no matter which machine makes the edit?

Hopefully we can pin down what is going on here.

This discussion has been closed.