GUID.password File

Options
hubpf
hubpf
Community Member

I notice the software actually have all cards saved as separate GUID.password files, which is quite different from most of password manager software. When I create a new card, a GUID.password file is created. But when I remove a card, the relevant file is not removed. If I have frequent add and removed activities, there will be lots of orphan cards files left. I tried both Windows and Android, both have this issue.

Comments

• hubpf
    hubpf
    Community Member
    Options

I also notice the naming convention for GUID files generated from PC and Android versions are different.

• saad
    Options

The *.password files are not deleted from your .agilekeychain. When you delete an item from your vault, it is marked as trashed. You can then go into the Trash in 1Password for Windows and remove the trashed item from your vault. This will mark the item as a tombstone and after a certain period of time, 1Password for Windows will automatically replace the content of the *.password file with a 2 byte file. This keeps your .agilekeychain intact and supported by older versions of 1Password. The naming convention of the *.password file should not affect the compatibility between your PC and Android. You can find more information about the .agilekeychain format here if you're interested. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

• hubpf
    hubpf
    Community Member
    Options

Even it's just 2 byte file, if I create and delete cards often, it will left lots of orphan files. If I were to sync with cloud, all this files have to be compared against the files in cloud, it ends up may not be a good practice.

• saad
    Options

That's a very good point you brought up. I'll bring this up to our development team! Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.