Customize username field?

Options
tilthouse
tilthouse
Community Member

I seem to recall that it used to be possible to customize what form element was used for your username (and password, etc.). But I am not seeing that this is possible anymore. Am I missing it?

Is there a way to customize a saved Login so that I can inform 1password what text field to fill explicitly, for when it does not find it.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tilthouse,

If you're having an issue with a particular Login item, the best way to help 1Password to re-learn those fields is to save a new version of the Login like so:

• Edit the login that you currently have for this website by appending an "Old" to the title - just so you can tell them apart.
    • Visit the site and fill in the fields you want filled. Do NOT click the login button.
    • Click the 1Password extension, and unlock it if necessary.
    • Click the gear icon (or vault icon if multiple vaults are enabled) in the upper right corner.
    • Select Save new login.
    • Give the entry a unique and identifiable title.
    • Click Save.
    • Revisit the site and see if 1Password fills in the site correctly.

If that doesn't work, could you let us know the site's address so we can test it?

Now, in terms of customizing form fields, the web form details of each item are still available, you can view them by clicking on the 'show web form details' within the entry. It is not possible to add details here, but you can edit them if necessary. In general, we do recommend using the Save a New Login Manually steps above to ensure that 1Password knows what to fill, so that you don't have to go mucking around in the web form details.

Is there a way to customize a saved Login so that I can inform 1password what text field to fill explicitly, for when it does not find it.

We do our best to fill as many webpages as possible, although due to the infinite variety of webpage design, we're not quite at 100% yet. Our developers have worked hard to teach 1Password to fill in on some trickier sites, but there is no way for a user to override 1Password's filling schemes. Again, if there is a particular site that is misbehaving, please send along the URLs so that we can do some testing here. :)

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions!

This discussion has been closed.