My data is old...want to restore from a 1PW 3 file

Options
bmonty
bmonty
Community Member
edited July 2014 in Mac

Hello. Two things just happened at once: I had to update to a new hard drive, and I updated from v. 3 to v. 4.

For some reason 1PW 4 is working fine, but I'm looking at a fairly old data. (Passwords are two years out of date, etc.) I have a backup of my entire old hard drive, including the 1PW 3 file (in the Dropbox folder.) How can I get my current version of software to adopt that older file?

It isn't a "backup." It's the file that I stored in Dropbox. (And is currently on an external drive.)

Thanks so much. You can be my hero!

Brad

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Brad ( @bmonty ),

I hope your hard drive update was successful and am glad you could upgrade to 1Password 4. :)

Sorry to hear you're currently stuck with older data, though. Here's what you can do to recover your 1Password 3 data:

First thing to do is open 1Password 4, then select File > Backup from the menu to make sure you have a backup of the current database even if it's out-of-date.

Next, you'll want to start over so you can create a new 1Password 4 database from your 1Password 3 data. After reaching instructions for the first time you run 1Password, you'll want to skip to getting started again on a new computer and select I’ve used 1Password before to see these choices:

Select This Mac to continue. Navigate to the Dropbox folder on your external hard drive where the Agile Keychain for your 1Password 3 data is stored, then select and open that keychain. Watch while 1Password 4 reads that data to set up its new Primary vault. When that's finished, select 1Password 4 > Preferences… from the menu and choose the Sync tab. You should see it configured similar to this:

Click Change Syncing…, leave the Delete data from the folder option disabled, then click Disable Sync.

Close the Preferences window and check that you now have the desired data in the new Primary vault for 1Password 4.

And that should do it! But if you do get stuck please send us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, along with a link to this topic and your forum username, to support+forum@agilebits.com. A brief comment here mentioning that you've sent the report would also be helpful so we can keep an eye out for it and help you get things sorted out quicker. :)

Thanks!

• bmonty
    bmonty
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much for taking the time. I'm very appreciative.

• bmonty
    bmonty
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much. You fixed it!!!! One more question? Now I'd love to start syncing AGAIN on my dropbox. How do I move whatever I have now over to dropbox? THANKS! (I'm afraid to just start syncing for fear I'll mess it up again....this one cost me a a couple of hours. ) THANKS!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey Brad ( @bmonty ),

So glad to hear you fixed it; I was only the messenger with some suggestions. :)

Do you currently have Dropbox sync configured with 1Password on any other systems/devices? If not, this article has instructions for creating a new Agile Keychain in Dropbox:

Sync with Dropbox

Otherwise, you'd want to select an existing Agile Keychain in Dropbox if there is one already being synced with 1Password on other systems/devices.

I'll keep it simple for now and if you have questions about this, or anything else, I'm happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.