Do I have to pay for each device in which I download 1Password?

Options
franciscomello
franciscomello
Community Member

Guys,
I just paid the heavy sum of USD 35 dollars for the 1Pass for my MacBook Air.
Wanted to download it to my Iphone, and sync it, and was charged an additional USD 9 on the app store.
This really makes no sense right? Will I be refunded?

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Pricing for 1Password is on a per-platform and per-user basis. So the Mac and iOS versions are indeed separate purchases, as you have found. The iOS version is universal, so one purchase gets you a license for all iOS devices that use the same Apple ID. The same is true if you bought the Mac version from the Mac App Store: you can use the license on all OS X computers you have, so long as they all use the same Apple ID for purchasing. If you buy from the AgileBits store, the Mac license permits you to use the application on as many OS X devices as you yourself control and use. There is a five user family license for cases where more that one family member in the same household needs access.

When Yosemite and iOS 8 arrive, Apple will be rolling out family sharing, which will let family members share media and applications, as long as all family members use the same credit card. Exactly how that will apply to 1Password (or any other application) isn't clear yet, at least to those of us who aren't already testing the new OSs.

• franciscomello
    franciscomello
    Community Member
    Options

Got it, but I fond this incredibly confusing. You guys sell the product as a multi-platform solution for my whole "password life." It makes absolutely no sense to charge different amounts for different devices in selling yourself this way. Either increase the price and sell a complete solution, or don't charge anything else, which is the right path given the steep tag of the product.

Again, it makes no sense to advertise a one stop shop solution for all my passwords, in a multi-screen world, if you are going to make me purchase the software for each device. Its just not elegant, product-wise.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I don't work for AgileBits, but I can comment that Apple does not provide developers any way to bundle applications. So a one price for all platforms option isn't available.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I have just read that Family Sharing in Yosemite and iOS will be provided on an opt-in basis for developers. Each developer will decide whether to use the feature or not. To the best of my knowledge, AgileBits has not announced its intentions on the matter.

This discussion has been closed.