New user can't use master password

Options
Ernestbc
Ernestbc
Community Member

Given the recommendation to use a sentence as the master password, I typed a complete sentence when creating this. It was confirmed on the creation screen. But as I next was asked to type the master password to set up the program, I was not allowed enough digits to accommodate my sentence and the input field did not scroll as I expected. I have no other data in the program. Was I wrong to use a sentence? Is there a limit on number of characters? I can not find answers to this! Then, how do I start over again? I purchased from Apple store. Thanks!

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

Have you tried entering the complete sentence, despite the lack of screen feedback?

If you want to start over, instructions for doing that are here.

I found this blog post extremely helpful when I was first setting up 1Password.

• Ernestbc
    Ernestbc
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I did try entering the complete sentence despite the lack of feedback. It did not work with a couple of attempts. I had previously read the blog post that you suggest and found it very helpful. Then I decided to try the full sentence, based on the program instructions, instead of coding the sentence from words to letters. I am going back to the blog's instructions not to use real words now. With your help, I am back to the starting gate now. Thanks!

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

I have adopted the recommendation to use Diceware to create my own master password. I don't have a sentence, but instead a series of randomly selected words. Those are easy to memorize and unlikely to be guessed, since they have no contextual meaning. Real sentences aren't random, and so I think they are less secure than Diceware generated passwords.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Ernestbc,

I'm glad to hear that @hawkmoth's suggestions have you back at the starting gate! I hope that your set-up process is smooth now, but we're here if you have any further questions or concerns. :)

This discussion has been closed.