transfering data from one computer to another

Options
cece
cece
Community Member

So I've read the docs you have online. But I am having problems. Here is what I want to do.

Computer 1
Macbook Pro on Lion, with 1Password 3.
When I try to upgrade to 1Password4, it says that the software has the latest upgrade. Your documents says that iPassword 4 is good for Lion.

Computer 2
Macbook Air with Maverick with 1Password4.
Tried many different ways to transfer data from computer one to two, but have been unable to . Exporting data from computer one is not the problem. Trying to import to the data to computer 2 is the problem. The files are greyed out and will not allow me to import data.

If you have a solution, please help.

Comments

• cece
    cece
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, I found some more info.

In order to upgrade from 3 to 4, you need to download a new version of 4, and retire 3. Before you do that make sure you have backup your files.

I've now come across another problem.

Zip and 1pif files are unix executable files,(exe) which aren't recognized by Macs. Is this a bug from agile bits? Can you correct this?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cece,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been having trouble upgrading!

First of all, I do apologize for the confusion, but 1Password 4 requires Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8.5) or higher - you will not be able use 1Password 4 for Mac on your computer with Lion installed. The good news though is that version 3 and version 4 can stay in sync via Dropbox, so you can upgrade to 1Password 4 for Mac on the newer computer running Mavericks.

So, it sounds to me like you have all your 1Password data on the older computer running Lion, is that correct? The easiest way to get your data onto your new machine is using Dropbox.

• You can set up Dropbox sync with 1Password 3 by following the instructions here
    • Once your data is synced to your Dropbox folder on your new computer, when you open 1Password 4 for the first time it will detect your datafile in Dropbox and prompt you for your Master Password.
    • You can find the instructions for setting up 1Password 4 in our User Guide

(This is a lot more simple than trying to move a .1pif file over!)

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions, please give me a bit more detail on your situation:

• Which version of 1Password is currently installed on each computer?
    • Where is your 1Password data currently stored? (On which computer, or on both?)
    • Are you currently using Dropbox to sync?

The more detail about your 1Password setup you can provide, the more quickly we'll be able to get you sorted out! :)

This discussion has been closed.