Questions re: merging vaults [Resolved]

sri
sri
Community Member
edited August 2014 in iOS

Summary

Is merging a two-way operation? Say I initiate a merge operation on my iPad and ask it to merge with Dropbox. Further suppose the vault on the iPad has not been modified in a long time; the one on Dropbox on the other hand has recent modifications. Will the merge operation affect the vault on Dropbox?

Details

Much like other folks (see for example https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/22279/merging-multiple-vaults-into-one) I have unwittingly ended up with 2 vaults -- Primary & 1Password. By unwittingly I mean I did not voluntarily create them. In my case this is on an iPad.

I first convinced myself that I have a single correct vault in all my other devices. Then, since I did not want to have the confusion of 2 vaults I decided that I will

a) Delete the vault named 1Password (ya, I probably should not have done that)

b) Merge Primary

The multiple layers of warning from 1Password suggesting that I do not merge gave me pause. So I backed up my agilekeychain on Dropbox.

Now I am ready to merge...I think ;-)

This brings us to the question I posed above. What I want is for the merge to pull all the updates. I don't want the keychain on Dropbox to be modified.

Is that the expected behavior?

Sri

Comments

• Hi @sri,

Is merging a two-way operation?

Technically yes, it's going to import the data from the remote vault into the local vault, compare each item by its timestamp and use the latest version. There may be some duplicates because they're different in some ways.

Once it is done importing, it'll replace the remote vault by uploading the local vault data instead. Now, both side would have the same encryption keys based on your master password.

What I want is for the merge to pull all the updates. I don't want the keychain on Dropbox to be modified.

If you don't want the local data to be uploaded into Dropbox, you can reset the data within the local app, and then pull it from Dropbox. That'll skip the merge part.

If you're absolutely sure there's nothing on your iPad to save, then here's how to proceed:

1. Open on 1Password on the iPad, unlock, go to Settings > Advanced, and tap on Reset Data. It'll ask you to confirm this.
    2. Once you confirm it, it'll exit the app and remove the data. Open 1Password again, you'll be taken to the Welcome tour, select I've used 1Password before. Use Dropbox to sync and pull your data.

I hope this helps!

• sri
    sri
    Community Member

D'oh! Thank you. Didn't see the forest for the trees :-P

Worked like a champ.

Sri

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Sri,

I'm so glad to hear that @MikeT's suggestions helped - thanks for letting us know! Since this issue is nicely sorted out now, I'll close this thread, but if you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to open a new thread, or email us directly at support@agilebits.com - we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.