Syncing with iOS on iPad

Options
bellyqueen
bellyqueen
Community Member

I need a bit more detail on syncing than I am finding in the User Guide.

If I edit and update my iPad 1P login and password info, deleting items I no longer use as well, when I do a sync to 1P on my MacBook Pro, what will happen?

Will 1P on the Mac then be an exact replica of what is on the iPad? Or will it reflect a merge of the two, meaning that the logins I've eliminated from the iPad will still show up on the Mac?

Comments

• bellyqueen
    bellyqueen
    Community Member
    Options

More info: I'm syncing by wifi, but could do by iCloud if that would make the Mac's 1P the exact same as the iPad's.

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Updates will sync based on timestamps I believe and in instances where 1Password isn't sure it will merge information, so if you see a section labelled conflicts or suddenly an item has two passwords where there used to only be one. Simply clear the entry up on one device and the cleaned copy will then sync. Deletions will sync too. All of this should be regardless of the preferred sync solution used.

There are caveats to using WiFi sync though. You can only sync a primary vault at the moment (same with iCloud though) but iCloud will properly sync attachments whereas WiFi doesn't. iCloud though is a bit of a black box making diagnosis of issues harder but there are a set of steps you can go through to clear 1Password data and start a clean sync without risking your data.

• bellyqueen
    bellyqueen
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply. And ... when you write "iCloud is a bit of a black box making diagnosis of issues harder but there are a set of steps you can go through to clear 1Password data and start a clean sync without risking your data" ... what are those steps? Can you point me to them with a link?

• littlebobbytables
    Options

I think this post represents the steps needed. As for my remark, it's because you can't browse an iCloud storage space like you might Dropbox in pretty Apple fashion.

• Hi @bellyqueen,

iCloud being a black box as far as diagnosing issues is going to change for the better really soon. iCloud's implementation on iOS 8 (and OS X Yosemite) is much better for us to be able to see what goes wrong if things do go wrong. Wi-Fi Sync is also going to get better once both those systems arrive.

• bellyqueen
    bellyqueen
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your replies!

• On behalf of Chris (and littlebobbytables), you're welcome. Please let us know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.