"1Password will no longer sync because it cannot read the sync file" [Fix steps in post #39]

Options
eliotw
eliotw
Community Member
edited September 2014 in iOS

Running iOS 8 with latest 1Password and Dropbox syncing on a iPhone 5S.

Twice since the upgrade yesterday I find that I'm prompted for a Password instead of TouchID and then receive the pop-up error "1Password will no longer sync because it cannot read the sync file. Please update sync preferences to start syncing again. 1Password encountered a problem."

Going into sync settings I see a blank "Primary Vault: Start Synching" screen and I can setup Dropbox syncing again and it seems to work for a while.

When I look at Security settings I find that TouchID is disabled and that my Master password "Request After" has been reset to 10 Minutes. I can reenable and it works until the next sync error.

Can I provide any additional details to help debug the issue ? Is this known ?

Anyone else having this issue ?

Comments

• bguthrie
    bguthrie
    Community Member
    Options

Upgraded to iOS8 and setup Dropbox Sync. All worked well, but occasionally Dropbox Sync Disconnects and I have to setup Dropbox Sync again to get things working. Any others having this problem?

• jrobcet
    jrobcet
    Community Member
    Options

There are at least two of us at this point. I have seen the same behavior as well, with the exception that it has only occurred once so far on my iPhone. I will be interested to check my iPad tonight to see if the same has happened to it.

• eliotw
    eliotw
    Community Member
    Options

Sounds like the issue I've hd twice on my iPhone. Do you get the same error message as me (..cannot read sync file..)?

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/28714/dropbox-sync-and-touchid-deactivating

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bguthrie,

Thanks for taking the time to write in! I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with Dropbox sync. We'll need to take a closer look at your system here to determine where things are getting tangled up.

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your iOS device:
    http://guides.agilebits.com/knowledgebase/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#ios4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• bguthrie
    bguthrie
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Megan and eliotw for your replies. Megan, I'll definitely create a Diagnostics Report next time it occurs. eliotw, I do believe the message I received is similar to the one you mention, however, I receive it when simply switching back to the 1Password App and supplying my 1Password (I don't have Touch ID), but my issue seems very similar to the one you submitted. Thanks again to both of you for your interest and assistance.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @eliotw and @jrobcet‌

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been having trouble with 1Password here. We'll need to take a closer look at your system here to see if we can determine where things are getting tangled up.

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your iOS device:
    http://guides.agilebits.com/knowledgebase/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#ios4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• dandorato
    dandorato
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue... I emailed my Diagnostics Report

• eliotw
    eliotw
    Community Member
    Options

I just had the same issue on my iPad Air and I emailed the Diagnostics Report with a link to this thread. Thanks.

• roustem
    edited September 2014
    Options

Thank you for the detailed description, @eliotw!

It seems that iOS is not saving the application preferences for some reason. I suggest rebooting the iPhone and then changing 1Password settings. After that, please check if the settings are saved even after the application is restarted.

• gordon9293
    gordon9293
    Community Member
    Options

Same exact issue. I've been going back and forth with AgileBits support for a couple days now. They've had me try a bunch of things, but nothing seems to fix it so far.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi @gordon9293‌

Thanks so much for working with our support team to track this down! By any chance have you also tried @roustem's advice?

• gordon9293
    gordon9293
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan: Yes, I've tried that. It did not fix anything, unfortunately. The settings and sync data still gets lost after a few hours.

• eliotw
    eliotw
    Community Member
    Options

The Doctor's issue sounds different from mine (OP). It's the loss of Dropbox sync which also seems to disable Touch ID. I'd had the 2 occurrences on the iPhone 5S which today is being replaced with a iPhone 6 :-) so I will see how it goes on that hardware. Yesterday I had the first Dropbox sync incident in the iPad Air for which I emailed diag info. I was waiting to hear back before reseting it so I'll try the reboot and @roustem's suggestions and see if it happens again.

• benmcfadden
    benmcfadden
    Community Member
    Options

I'm seeing the same behavior as OP. Dropbox sync fails for some reason, and it disables the Touch ID setting as well. Do you guys still want additional diagnostic reports?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @benmcfadden‌

Please try @roustem's steps above in post #10. If you are still seeing a disconnect in sync, please generate a Diagnostics Report so we can investigate the issue further. :)

• Cody Porche
    Cody Porche
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here. Running iOS 8 on a brand new iPhone 6 Plus and syncing with Dropbox.

• danielleehuskey
    danielleehuskey
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue here. iOS 8 and brand new iPhone 6. Will generate a diagnostics report. Definitely annoying though.

• jcr
    jcr
    Community Member
    Options

Same sad situation here. iPhone 5S, iOS8. Sync stops every day or two "because it cannot read the sync file." Have to reset Dropbox sync. Upon reset, sync complains that existing sync file should not be merged. I merge anyway, and it works for a while. Until it doesn't again.

I am only syncing the iOS version with the Mac desktop version.

Touch ID also flaky, on one recent occasion, touch ID dialog would not dismiss, even though I could see behind it that the Will submit diagnostic report.

• Thanks for the continued feedback folks. If anyone else is still having this issue please send us a diagnostic report as requested above.

• robot_kid
    robot_kid
    Community Member
    Options

Just a note that I've also experienced this issue multiple times, and have just emailed in the diagnostics report.

• TA
    TA
    Community Member
    Options

I am also experiencing both conditions (TouchID failure and sync failure) on a daily or every other day basis. Occurs on both an iPad Air and a iPhone 6 running iOS 8 and 1P (latest versions of both).

I have just sent a diagnostics report from the iPhone.

-TA

• @TA‌

Thanks! We received your report.

ref: TFX-29368-641

@robot_kid‌

I wasn't able to find your report. It appears you may have sent it from a different email address than the one you have registered here on the forums. Could you please send me a PM here letting me know what email address you wrote from?

Thanks!

• eliotw
    eliotw
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

On my iPad, support suggested I first ensure data on Dropbox was complete and then in the 1Password app "Erase Data and Settings" under advanced and then re-enable Dropbox syncing. This has resolved the issue on the iPad for over 1 week.

Two days ago I also did this on my iPhone 6 when it started showing the same issues. Good there since.

• bmeverett
    bmeverett
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also having the same issue on my new iPhone 6. I have just emailed a diagnostics report from the iPhone, using the email account linked to this profile.

Looking forward to the solution!

Thank -

• steinmanal
    steinmanal
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue. I've reinstalled the app and rebooted the phone multiple times.

• leizhao4
    leizhao4
    Community Member
    Options

Same here. Happened to me every 1-2 days. I feel it's an iOS 8 bug of losing user settings. I lost my Safari plugin settings too. I always place 1Password as the first one on my list, but after a while it moves back to the end.

• jcr
    jcr
    Community Member
    Options

There is something odd going on with iOS8 and user settings, and it isn't only limited to 1Password. For example, MyDlink Lite (an app that allows you to manage and view dLink webcams) often prompts me for username and password with blank fields when first launched (which is not normal, it always saved them pre-iOS-8). The strange thing is, if I exit to the springboard and then immediately re-launch the MyDlink Lite again, it then show the "logging in" spinner overlay on top of the still empty login fields! So first launch, seems to have forgotten my saved login/user settings; second launch (without having entered login information) automatic login. Something weird is going on there.

As far as 1Password goes, I just tried clearing all device data and then relaunched to sync with existing dropbox data. The data and syncing is working, I'll let you know for how long.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @eliotw,

I'm so glad to hear that 1Password seems to be behaving for you after starting fresh! Here's to hoping it continues to behave.

Hi @bmeverett,

We've received your Diagnostics Report - thanks for sending it in! Thanks also for including the necessary details in your email - this will make it much easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone from the support team will get back to you as soon as possible with some further information. We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. :)

ref: LEH-58269-338

Hi @steinmanal‌,

I'm sorry to hear that this issue is bothering you! Please send us a Diagnostics Report as in my post #7 above so that our developers can get as much information as possible while tracking this bug down.

Hi @leizhao4‌ and @jcr,

Thanks for adding your feedback here! We're suspecting an iOS preference bug here too. Fingers crossed that it is resolved soon! At the very least, if our developers can confirm this, we can start looking for a workaround.

• bmeverett
    bmeverett
    Community Member
    Options

Hi all,

For what it's worth, I tried the fix suggested by @eliotw above (post #24), and after about 24 hours I have not had to re-setup dropbox synching. Hopefully that will continue to be the case!

• Thanks for the update @bmeverett‌

This discussion has been closed.