Dropbox activity: conflicted copies of contents.js

Options
remitbri
remitbri
Community Member
edited September 2014 in Mac

Hi. I moved from iCloud sync to Dropbox sync using the methods you indicated in your blog post, as I upgraded to iOS 8 on my devices but one of the macs I'm using is likely to stay on 10.9.x for quite a while.
Nothing bad happened during the "sync switch", except that… I see there's a lot of activity (every 10-15s) on the Dropbox side, as if the macs and the iPhones/Pads were competing to sync and modify content.js, sometimes creating a conflict version file (from what Dropbox seems to be telling me)

Err… is it normal ???

Comments

• nickveys
    nickveys
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

I recently updated to 1P 5 on my iOS devices, and migrated to iCloud Drive so my current Macs could no longer sync. I figured I'd temporarily hop back to Dropbox for the time being, and everything seems fine.

The only weird thing is contents.js is constantly syncing over dropbox, like every couple seconds it changes and is synced. I'm assuming there's some kind of conflict resolution war between my desktop and laptop. What's the safest way to resolve this?

In the data/default directory there are 150 different contents.js files (with appended "XXXXX's conflicted copy {date}") and they keep on coming...

I'm also seeing errors on the iOS version saying "failed to delete remote path" on the various conflicted contents.js files.

1 Mac is Mavericks, Laptop is Yosemite PB3, 1Password 4.4.1 (MAS), iOS devices are iOS 8, 1Password 5.0.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That is definitely not ideal behavior, but I suspect we can resolve it pretty easily.

1. On iOS, disable Dropbox syncing in 1Password: Settings > Sync > Sync Service > Disable Sync

2. On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, go to File > Backup and run a backup, just in case.

3. Click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

4. Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

5. Restart your Mac

6. Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of.

7. On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select Open. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.

8. Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

9. On iOS, go to the Sync settings, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select the 1Password.agilekeychain inside the 1Password folder. 1Password will offer to merge the data for you.

Please let me know if this works! :)

• gheys
    gheys
    Community Member
    Options

Based on suggestions in other topics, it sounded like my antivirus software (VirusBarrier) might be causing this same behaviour for me.

I added my Dropbox folder as a trusted location (i.e. a folder not to be scanned) and the problem seems to be resolved.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gheys,

Thanks so much for letting us know that you got the issue sorted out by working with your antivirus software. I'm glad things are working properly for you now - if you hit any other snags, we're here to help! :)

• sevendotzero
    sevendotzero
    Community Member
    Options

Hi. In the list of steps above it states that 1 1Password folder will be created in Dropbox under Apps. However the only way I can get 1Password.agilekeychain stored in Apps\1Password is to manually create the 1Password folder. If I just select Apps (under Dropbox) for sync that is where 1Password.agilekeychain is saved. Having manually created the folder before setting up Mac sync all seems fine but I'm curious why it doesn't get created automatically as per the instructions.

• Ben
    Options

@sevendotzero‌

Interesting. We'll have to do some testing on that.

• stanroper
    stanroper
    Community Member
    Options

I've got the same issue. I resolved it using khad's method above, but when I got up this morning it started all over again.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @stanroper‌

Given the cause of these issues in the case of gheys (post #4) I'm wondering if you have any anti virus or similar that may be causing interference too?

• stanroper
    stanroper
    Community Member
    Options

No, OS X Yosemite without antivirus.

• stanroper
    stanroper
    Community Member
    Options

I rebooted, Dropbox notified me of the update 2 or 3 times and then it stopped. There were references to conflicts in the Dropbox Recently Changed list so I clicked through and found: (1) contents (iMac's conflicted copy 2014-12-08 (1)).js, contents (iMac's conflicted copy 2014-12-08).js, contents (MacBook Air's conflicted copy 2014-12-08).js and contents.js

None of these machines are running antivirus. If I happens again I'll shutdown other running services one by one to look for a source of the problem.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @stanroper,

Could you please confirm your version numbers for me? It would be helpful to know the version numbers of both 1Password and your operating systems on all computers and devices that are currently running 1Password.

• basquiaf
    basquiaf
    Community Member
    Options

If I'm using my MacBook Air and iMac at the same time, Dropbox notifies me every 3sec of the contents.js update. But its fine if I use only one device. Khad's advice of rebooting and deleting 1Passord's data didn't help.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @basquiaf‌

In order to get this sorted out, I'll need to know a little bit more about your 1Password ecosystem:

• What are the version numbers of 1Password and your operating system for all computers and devices running 1Password?
  • stanroper
    stanroper
    Community Member
    Options

OS X Yosemite 10.10.1 on both Macs.
    1Password 5.0.2 (502006) (Mac App Store) on both Macs.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @stanroper,

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#mac4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• basquiaf
    basquiaf
    Community Member
    Options

Same like @stanroper: OS X Yosemite 10.10.1 and 1Password 5.0.2

• stanroper
    stanroper
    Community Member
    Options

I've sent the report.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014
    Options

Hi @stanroper, we received your Diagnostics Report - thanks for sending that! Someone from the support team will get back to you as soon as possible with some further information. We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there.

ref: ADU-74633-587

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @basquiaf,

If you're still having trouble with overactive contents.js updates in Dropbox, please send us a Diagnostics Report (see post #16) from your MacBook Air and iMac so we can better troubleshoot and help you resolve that problem. Thanks!

• Manix
    Manix
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here contents.js is updated every 3 seconds. I'm using the latest OS X version of Yosemite and the current 1password apps on all devices (macbook air, imac, iphone 6).

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Manix‌

If you haven't already can you try khan's suggestion in post #3 please and let us know if that makes any difference.

• MagyarMester
    MagyarMester
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here contents.js is updated every 3 seconds. I'm using Mavericks, 1Password 4.4.1 — two laptops synching — and the current 1password apps on an iPad and iPhone. Tried the suggestion in post #3 twice and still the same.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MagyarMester‌

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this, and that the steps above haven't helped. I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#mac4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Manix
    Manix
    Community Member
    Options

Sent all the reports, in the meantime the issue seems to be resolved.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Manix‌ Glad to hear it sorted itself out. If it reappears let us know.

• Mithical
    Mithical
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Same problem here: have stopped syncing, backed up, deleted DB copy etc. twice. I still am getting DB notification pop-ups abut conflicted files every few seconds, and in three days I have over 1,500 files in this folder:

/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain/data/default.

Running 5.2 on IOS, 4.4.3 on Mavericks 10.9.5 on laptop and desktop.

(It's added 14 more files since I started typing this....)

A month ago when I had posted about having to manually downgrade to 1P4.x on my IOS devices, I was told that DropBox sync would be a breeze. Just got the chance to update on IOS, re-sync via dropbox a couple days go and....not a breeze.

(10 more since last count). What on earth?

(9 more since post/edit, now up to 1,537 and no sign of stopping.)

• Mithical
    Mithical
    Community Member
    Options

Diagnostic sent.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Mithical,

I tried searching our ticketing system for your forum email address, your username, the name of this thread or the URL but I couldn't find your diagnostic report. Could you post the ticket ID that you would have received from us please, that will help us locate your email :smile:

• Mithical
    Mithical
    Community Member
    Options

Support ID is GEB-27389-686.

FYI, I have once again disabled syncing on both Mac OS and both IOS devices, and deleted the 1P folder on DB. With only the two Mac OS devices syncing, the same thing is happening. (In less than ten minutes, I am already up to 261 files in the same //Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain/data/default directory.

As I recall, this is why I changed to iCloud sync to begin with, but then you released 5, and blew that up. It seems I am stuck with either accumulating conflicted copies ad infinitum (if I sync with DB), or having to downgrade my IOS version to 4 (so I can sync via iCloud), and then manually babysit my IOS updates so I don't accidentally upgrade to 5 on IOS and lose my iCloud sync.

Ever since 5 was released, this has been nothing but hassle and a huge disappointment.

• Mithical
    Mithical
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

And yeah, I'll admit my attitude stinks on this, but I rely on this software pretty heavily, and ever since you guys released 5, it's been a nightmare. It seems to me that basic compatibility between software versions and across OS versions (not like 10.9.5 is exactly ancient!) should be much more carefully considered when releasing updates. I feel as though continued functionality for 10.9.5 users was completely ignored in this update.

(289 since last post... having to turn off sync on my laptop. Again.)

This discussion has been closed.