Dropbox Sync Problem or a bad configuration

Options
Ulsh
Ulsh
Community Member

I had Password3 family mac/windows bundle and upgraded to Password4 this weekend.

There is a new feature of having multiple vaults that you can share/sync through.

I tried to follow the directions shown with this url.. https://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/Tutorials/share-vault.html

My configuration that I am having trouble is :

iMac that has two logons ..one for my self (default:primary) and I would like to have a shared vault for my wife.

I don't think I did it right but I am not sure but I can tell you what I did.

1) Created a primary vault and 1 or 2 entries for a secondary vault to try out on my logon
a) with my dropbox

2) Shared the folder for 1password on my dropbox to my spouses dropbox

3) I did test that 1password folders are shared (r/w) in both directions for the shared drop boxes 1password folders

4) I renamed the ~/library/application support/1password4 folder and started 1password up

5) I had difficulty adding the dropbox folder by selecting the 1password directory

1/2 the time the finder like interface would just close and I would select the dropbox button to find the entry

6) When I did select the shared 1password folder, it opened up very slow and by the time I would select something ...the vault would close

7) Sometimes the vault would open up with my primary vault but if it did, it would close the vault shortly after selecting. It looked like the data was right for the primary vault. However, I wanted to have the secondary vault

8) when I run on my spouses account , I noticed that the mini-1password is not running and I can't change the preferences for dropbox, folder etc. they are grey'd out.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi @Ulsh,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble. There's a lot to digest here, so I'm going to try to tackle it piece by piece. Please let me know if I accidentally left anything out. :)

1) Created a primary vault and 1 or 2 entries for a secondary vault to try out on my logon a) with my dropbox

2) Shared the folder for 1password on my dropbox to my spouses dropbox

3) I did test that 1password folders are shared (r/w) in both directions for the shared drop boxes 1password folders

Sounds good so far!

4) I renamed the ~/library/application support/1password4 folder and started 1password up

5) I had difficulty adding the dropbox folder by selecting the 1password directory

1/2 the time the finder like interface would just close and I would select the dropbox button to find the entry

I'm wondering why you would have been renaming that very important folder. Did you see that somewhere in the User Guide or Knowledgebase? I suspect that could be the source of some trouble.

6) When I did select the shared 1password folder, it opened up very slow and by the time I would select something ...the vault would close

Is the unlock animation itself very slow, or does it just take a moment before it animates at the regular speed?

7) Sometimes the vault would open up with my primary vault but if it did, it would close the vault shortly after selecting. It looked like the data was right for the primary vault. However, I wanted to have the secondary vault

I think it would be best to get a Diagnostics Report from each of your OS X user accounts.

8) when I run on my spouses account , I noticed that the mini-1password is not running and I can't change the preferences for dropbox, folder etc. they are grey'd out.

Be sure to unlock 1Password before attempting to edit sync preferences. They will not be available if 1Password is locked.

So we can give you some specific (and hopefully easy) instructions, could you please email us a Diagnostics Report from both your user account and your wife's on your Mac, along with your forum username and a link to this discussion, to: support+forum@agilebits.com

This will provide us with more information about your current setup, and allow us to provide you with specific steps.

A brief comment here mentioning that you've sent the report would also be helpful. Thanks in advance!

• Ulsh
    Ulsh
    Community Member
    Options

My issue seems to have gone away but I wanted to document what I did

1) I rebooted my iMac (this seemed to be necessary but I don't know why because I tried the steps following and it didn't make a difference)

2) I renamed the ~/library/application support/1password4 folder and started 1password up

The reason I did this is that for some reason I had the old Vault copy (prior to the split vault but with all of the data)  and if I added the dropbox link just to the new (vault) it would have merged them.   I just want the new vault (spouses) vs merged.   I read the procedure of renaming this folder but I am not sure where.  

3) Then linked/synced via Dropbox to the new vault

4) Worked fast and correctly

Before the reboot, the vault would open (animation) very slow ...I have a very fast iMac and then instantly close.. I have no idea if I was linking to the vault correctly or not.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Ulsh,

I'm glad to hear that your issue seems to have resolved itself.

The reason I did this is that for some reason I had the old Vault copy (prior to the split vault but with all of the data) and if I added the dropbox link just to the new (vault) it would have merged them. I just want the new vault (spouses) vs merged. I read the procedure of renaming this folder but I am not sure where.

I'd just like to clarify here. In 1Password 4, your data is always stored locally, in the /Application Support folder. When you choose to sync a vault, 1Password makes a copy of the vault in question's data, and stores it in the sync location (either iCloud, Dropbox, or a chosen folder). But your original database, including all vault data, is still in that Application Support folder. So renaming this folder is not recommended, unless you are using the Starting Over steps to open 1Password as a new user. (I'm guessing this is where you might have seen those instructions before.)

In any case, please do let us know if you run into any further snags - we're here to help!

This discussion has been closed.