Unneeded Logins

Options
ronen
ronen
Community Member
edited September 2014 in Mac

There are few unneeded logins that I don't use .

Is there an idea where to save / move them ?

(Some kind of an Archive Folder ...)

Thanks.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    Options

You have two options.

1. Create a secondary vault titled Archive and simply move all the items you want over. They'll stay safely stored, you can even easily access them from the browser extension if you need to. This was suggested previously by Megan after my idea of:
    2. Create an Archive folder and move everything into the folder. You'd then probably want to edit each item by hand and set the display setting from Always to Never display in browser.

Personally 1. is so much easier from the user's perspective as my suggestion required editing each item by hand. Both suggestions keep the handy while suggestion one keeps them free of your main vault yet still easily accessible from within a browser if needed. The only small advantage 2. has is if you only WiFi sync and want all your archived items on your iOS device. As you can see, an unlikely corner case.

• ronen
    ronen
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

Thank you :

1. For the fast reply.

2. For the answer .

Maybe Agilebits will make an Archive folder in 1Password database ? @-)

• littlebobbytables
    Options

I don't think it's high up on their to-do list I'm afraid (they get harangued a lot for stuff to do with synching for example). Try the secondary vault suggestion, I think you'll find it a pretty good workaround :)

• ronen
    ronen
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you !!!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ronen,

I'm glad that @littlebobbytables‌' suggestions are helpful to you. :)

And I've added your vote for an Archive folder built in to 1Password. For now, I agree with @littlebobbytables that the secondary vault is a great option. For myself, rename some older items with "x" (i.e. "x Chase Bank", "x Verizon Wireless") so they are sorted near the bottom. I only have a few items like that, though, so if you have many items, a secondary vault is probably best.

• ronen
    ronen
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks.

P.S.

If I Create an Archive folder and move everything into the folder.

The Logins are still visible in the Logins Categories ,

So I still see them instead of Moving them into the Archive folder completely ...

I wish not to see them at all (Maybe a secondary vault will solve my comment ..)

Or am I wrong ?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ronen,

Putting 1Password items in folders keeps them in their original categories. It's similar to when you put iTunes media into playlists; it also stays in the original library.

But if you move items into different vaults they'll be removed from the original vault.

You are not wrong. :)

• ronen
    ronen
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks sjk.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome, @ronen. Cheers!

• ronen
    ronen
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

P.S. please :

I want to make some changes
    in my 1password
    OS X app, including new Vault.

Do you recommend wating for the new OS X Yosemite to come and then make these changes ?

As I also have the iCloud sync issue now.

Thanks

• Hi @ronen,

It's important to note that iCloud sync is not supported for secondary vaults. If you want your secondary (archive) vault to sync to other devices, you need to use Dropbox instead.

This will still be the case after our Yosemite update, so it really doesn't matter if you make the changes now or wait until the Yosemite update arrives.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always happy to help!

• ronen
    ronen
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi JasperP.

THANK YOU !

Very important comment !!!

Now I'm confuse , As I don't have ( And want ) Dropbox ,
    I'm happy with iCloud syncing ,
    And I have some unnecessary Logins and other Data to "Put aside" ...
    But where ?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If you're using a secondary vault as an archive location I'm assuming you aren't bothered about having instant access to the contents on every device? If I'm right then the inability to sync a secondary vault wouldn't be a major hindrance and you could continue using iCloud (well once Apple release Yosemite and all devices can once again communicate with each other - go Apple!).

Obviously I could be wrong with that assumption but your two choices at that point, at least for the moment, are Dropbox (currently the only way to sync secondary vaults) or to switch from the idea of using a secondary vault to an archive folder. You've stated your opinion on Dropbox, and of the two archive suggestions, I personally feel the vault suggestion is a lot cleaner and less fiddly.

So mostly it hinges on the question, do you need access to the archive vault on every device?

• ronen
    ronen
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you.
    In case of Archive secondary vault , I don't know when ill need to use the access from iOS ,
    but when ill need it , it won't be there ...

Is it so hard to sync a secondary vault ?

( I'm not complaining , just wonder )

p.s.

What is warehouse ?

Warehouse is a place that you put things that you don't need
    and after long time you throw away .

One day after throwing away - you need them …

:)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I think it's to do with the history of 1Password and how it has evolved from a single vault with no sharing to trying to find a system that allows multiple vaults with control over who can see them. Given that Dropbox is quite open with access and has mechanisms for sharing I can see why that was probably reasonably straightforward whereas the old iCloud was a black box and not one that could be shared with others. Now CloudKit may change things - I don't know the details behind it or iCloud Drive. Something similar with WiFi, with how it started I can see why they may need to be careful and put thought into how it is going to work. I can imagine it might require a fair amount of effort but I'm sure that's exactly what they're doing.

When I ask about access via iOS, I suppose what I was wondering was, do you imagine anything in the archive vault so important that you would need access right there and then compared to waiting until you were back in front of your mac. Say something is 'archived' but it turns out you still need it. Next time in front of your mac it simply gets shifted from archive back to the primary. Sadly, for the moment at least, there isn't a solution to keeping your primary vault clear of clutter whilst still allowing instant access regardless of your device if Dropbox isn't viable.

Finally, who can't empathise with your closing remark :stuck_out_tongue:

• ronen
    ronen
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you !!

• MikeT
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi guys,

@littlebobbytables, CloudKit/iCloud Drive hasn't changed anything in terms of sharing, it is still the most restrictive as it has been in the past. At the moment, Dropbox remains the least restrictive.

@ronen, what you can do is on the Mac with the archive vault, you can enable 1Password to sync it to Dropbox and not have to use it on other computers and/or iOS devices. When you do need it, you just tell 1Password to pick the file from Dropbox and it'll open it for you.

• ronen
    ronen
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you.

• You're welcome!

• ronen
    ronen
    Community Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Open again the there'd as New 1P Ver 5.1 is here .

Now, with the 5.1 Mac Appstore ,

Can I Sync via iCloud all Vaults including secondary ones ?

Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ronen - no, 1Password 5 for Mac from the Mac App Store will still only allow you to sync your primary vault at present. We hope to be able to add in multiple vault syncing in a future update, but for now this has not changed.

• ronen
    ronen
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ronen, on behalf of Lars, you're welcome! :)

This discussion has been closed.