Add support for application passwords

Options
DBrown
DBrown
1Password Alumni
edited October 2014 in Mac
This discussion was created from a comment split from the Add support for application passwords [Added in beta 489] thread in the 1Password for Windows (beta) forum.

Comments

• johnplanetz
    johnplanetz
    Community Member
    Options

Forgive me for resurrecting this thread, but this is exactly what I'm looking for on the OSX version. I'm running 4.4.1, and don't see a comparable option to these windows features. For example: I'd like to be able to use a hotkey to enter the username/password into the Skype application.
    Can anyone advise how to auto-fill application passwords on the Mac?

Thanks,
    -John

• Spood
    Spood
    Community Member
    Options

+1

Also looking for help with this

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

You can't auto fill credentials into applications from 1Password on the Mac in the current version. I expect this to change when Yosemite arrives sometime later this month, but this is really only a guess on my part. I don't have any first hand knowledge. I'm just drawing a parallel with version 5 for iOS 8.

If the experience with iOS 8 is any guide, whether this will work will depend on whether the application developers make provisions to accept input from 1Password. I haven't been following the Mac beta forum lately because the betas only work with the Yosemite betas, but you might learn more about the future there.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @johnplanetz‌ and @Spood‌

Thanks so much for letting us know that you're interested in something like this! As @hawkmoth says, Yosemite does have some exciting new tools available for developers. We are currently exploring possibilities, but we don't have anything more concrete to say at this time.

In the meantime, 1Password makes it easy to copy and paste details into non-browser applications. Are you familiar with the 'Anchor' icon? Simply click on this while viewing an item's details in 1Password Mini, and these details will be pinned to your screen for easy copying and pasting.

ref: OPM-990

• rob_gendreau
    rob_gendreau
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for sure.

In the meantime, I'm wondering how to store these. In the application registration area? I'm already kinda messed up because with something like Fantastical I've got an application entry and a log in entry. Is there a way to merge these?

Also, a tip. If you copy from the iCloud website when an application password is offered, I notice you often get an unwanted return character.

Finally, I seem to remember that with google you could generate several passwords for use with different applications at one time. Can you do with with iCloud? It would be helpful since none of my Android browsers can generate passwords on the iCloud website.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rob_gendreau,

Application passwords can be stored in any 1Password item type that you'd like. And the Password Generator can be used to create strong application passwords, which is available in Password field types by clicking the padlock dial icon. Here's an example of adding a custom password field to the Demo vault Software License item for TextExpander:

Items can't be merged, but anchored 1Password mini item detail windows (see @Megan's post) can be open to copy/paste data between them and/or item details in the main application.

If you copy from the iCloud website when an application password is offered, I notice you often get an unwanted return character.

Yup, that's a bug and it's been squashed in the betas. From 1Password 4 for Mac Release Notes for 4.5.BETA-26:

• Fixed problem where the pasted password text with a newline character at the end was converted to a space character. {OPM-2295}

Finally, I seem to remember that with google you could generate several passwords for use with different applications at one time. Can you do with with iCloud? It would be helpful since none of my Android browsers can generate passwords on the iCloud website.

You can use Password Generator in 1Password mini to generate one password at a time. As soon Copy or Fill is clicked, a new Password item is created that you can find in the Passwords category.

I hope that helps. :)

This discussion has been closed.