Entering iPad app passwords to synch existing 1Password database with reloaded iPad app.

Options
Ramble
Ramble
Community Member

I have misplaced the master password for 1Password on my iPad. I read the forum and deleted the app on the iPad and reloaded it. The iPad version asked if it was a new database or and existing one. Clicked existing database and was given the two passwords to sync between my Mac and the iPad. The directions said to open 1Password on the Mac, which I did, and enter the two passwords.

My question is that I never saw a place on my Mac to enter the sync passwords from the iPad. How do you make that entry screen appear on the Mac?

Running OS X 10.9.5, !PASSWORD 4 V 4.4.3

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Ramble‌ I'm struggling to visualise what you're seeing at the moment.

Each vault will have it's own password to unlock it and there is no way to recover that password if you've truly forgotten it.

For syncing via WiFi you need to enter a secret, a code so the iOS device knows to talk to a particular mac. For syncing via Dropbox or iCloud though you only need to know their passwords. So I'm unclear what you're referring to when you say two passwords or the sync passwords. Can you describe what you're seeing a little more - cheers!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Ramble‌ I think I understand now based on an older guide I've just been reading. What version of 1Password are you running on your iOS devices? I'm suspecting you're running a 3.X version. This post from JasperP was aimed at another query but relates well to yours as well. It looks like you've been caught out by what were significant changes between versions. Dropbox changed their API meaning Dropbox sync won't work in 1Password 3.X for iOS and you can't WiFi sync between that iOS version and 1Password 4.X for Mac.

The next part depends an awful lot on your iOS devices and what version of iOS they can run. If your iOS devices are new enough to run iOS 8 then you could move to iOS 8 and 1Password 5 for iOS. That version of 1Password for iOS can synchronise with 1Password 4 for Mac, either via WiFi or Dropbox. If you can't run iOS 8 then you're a bit stuck for the moment as there isn't a way to obtain 1Password 4 for iOS unless you've previously purchased it. When 1Password 5 for iOS was released it was done so as an update to 1Password 4 so existing users got it for free, the downside is the older version isn't available (essentially).

I think you only have one path at the moment. You would need to download the older version for the mac, available at the bottom of their download page under legacy downloads. That would allow you to sync via WiFi with 1Password 3.X for iOS. Then you would use File Sync to sync between those two versions of 1Password for Mac at which point your copy of 1Password 4 for Mac would be the same as your iOS device.

If you need to run the older Mac version long term then somebody from AgileBits will probably be able to help you out with a licence.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Ramble,

I hope that @littlebobbytables‌ explanation has helped a bit here. I'd love it if you could confirm the version numbers of 1Password and your operating systems for all your computers and devices - I suspect that you might be trying to sync 1Password 3 for iOS to 1Password 4 for Mac, which is unfortunately not possible.

Your best bet is to move to 1Password 5 for iOS, if your iOS devices are iOS 8 compatible. Once we know a bit more about your situation, we'll be able to advise you better. :)

This discussion has been closed.