1Password's extension icon similar to Safari's "Toggle Web Inspector"

Options
scottishwildcat
scottishwildcat
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

The new "round" toolbar icon, which I've just noticed in 4.2.5b2 of the Safari extension, looks almost identical to Safari's own "Toggle Web Inspector" toolbar icon. Many web developers use the latter, and will probably be as confused as I've been since the change...

Screenshot here.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @scottishwildcat‌

I apologize for the potential confusion here! I can see a definite similarity there. If you anticipate a lot of trouble with this, I suggest trying to make use of the keyboard shortcuts to access the browser extension - ⌘⌥\ ( Command-Option- \ ) - instead of clicking. It should save you time, as well as confusion. ;)

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions or concerns!

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    Options

I keep getting them mixed up. I really liked the key you had previously. :(

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Niklas,

Thanks so much for the feedback! I've merged your post with an existing thread on the subject - you're not the only one who sees the similarity. :)

As I mention above, one way to help avoid confusion is by using the keyboard shortcut to access the browser extension instead of clicking on it.

• wpl38
    wpl38
    Community Member
    Options

Even apart from the similarity to "Toggle Web Inspector," the new keyhole icon is basically totally nondescript. The old key icon jumped out at me on the menu bar and the tool bar. Now I have to waste time searching for the right icon among all the similar roundish blobs every time. The key icon was much more user friendly.

Thank you for the tip about using the keyboard shortcut, but that's an evasive and lame response. What's the icon for if it's not to be used? Some people use keyboard shortcuts and some don't. Or we use them for certain things but not others. Command-Option-\ is not exactly an easy combo to hit. It actually takes more close attention to hitting the right key, taking my attention away from the screen more than moving the cursor does.

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

@Megan‌

Unfortunately almost all keyboard shortcuts only works if I use the american keyboard layout. I am forced to use the mouse. I also agree with @wpl38‌ that the previous key was superior from a semiotical (my professional opinion) and aesthetic perspective (my personal opinion).

Edit: Before anyone claims that keyboard shortcuts are faster than using the mouse. ;)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Niklas,

I'll pass your feedback along to our designers. It was our hope that making the Mini and the extension's icon more similar to the actual app icon that we would be removing confusion, rather than creating it. :)

This discussion has been closed.