Sync alternatives - not Dropbox or WiFi

Options
david_gordon
david_gordon
Community Member

Agile bits are usually brilliant so its been a big let down to have upgraded to 1Password 5 not to have been forewarned that iCloud syncing wouldn't be available to me.

I don't/can't use Dropbox. WiFi is a fuss and in any case only works locally.

I do have access to a Mac OS X Server, can I use this for automatic syncing in the way Cloud used to "just work"?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You don't mention what devices you're needing to sync but you reference to WiFi would suggest at least one device is an iOS one. If that's the case and Dropbox and WiFi sync are out of the picture then your only option would be iCloud - those three are currently the only sync methods available to 1Password for iOS. I'm going to link you to an ongoing thread on what to do if your an AgileBits' customer now needing the MAS version for iCloud. Please be patient with them, I believe they're fielding a lot of calls at the moment but every response I've ever seen says they do want their customers to be as happy with 1Password as they are.

• david_gordon
    david_gordon
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for that link, I'll go and read the thread.

I need to sync my Mac (with 10.10!), an iPad with iOS 8 and an iPhone with iOS 7.

Oh, and guess what just happened. I updated a password in 1Password on my Mac and went out with my iPad. Needed the new password and it wasn't there because I can'y sync...

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @david_gordon‌ I've got a little bad new for you I'm afraid. You won't be able to sync all three devices using iCloud, not with an iOS 7 device in the mix. 1Password 5 (both iOS and OS X) use CloudKit and it isn't backwards compatible with the previous version of iCloud syncing. If you really are against Dropbox for whatever reason, is your iPhone new enough that it will handle iOS 8 like your iPad? If it's an iPhone 4S or newer it will.

Apple always has a fairly aggressive approach to upgrading and iCloud here isn't any different. They've offered it to the latest and greatest versions and others are left out. AgileBits jumped on CloudKit because it's meant to be a substantial improvement over the previous iCloud syncing and should prove a lot more reliable and controllable too. It makes for a bumpy start but it'll seem worth it once everybody can use it.

• Ben
    Options

Unfortunately as @littlebobbytables‌ mentioned you'd need to upgrade to iOS 8 to utilize iCloud sync. We do not offer/support a sync with OS X server.

This discussion has been closed.