would someone please explain in simple language the sync issue? Dropbox synch OK in 1p5/Yosemite?

Options
eveningclouds
eveningclouds
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

I'm baffled by the discussions I see re synching.

I have 1Password 4, the website purchase.

I synch using Dropbox, not iCloud.

So when I switch to Yosemite and upgrade to 1Password 5, will I still be able to synch or not?

From what I've read in some posts, I think the answer is YES.

If I can't, what is the solution. It sounds like folks are buying the Apple Store edition and then applying back to AgileBits for a refund.

Is that what AgileBits is recommending or approving?

What a mess! Wasn't this predicatable, so how did this otherwise sure-footed company blow it? Or is this all Apple's fault?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Dropbox should give you no troubles now or in the foreseeable future.

The whole ruckus at the moment surrounds iCloud sync and the fact that prior to iOS 8 and Yosemite, Apple didn't enforce the restriction that iCloud syncing was limited to the Mac App Store. However, as of the iOS 8 and Yosemite and the introduction of a whole new iCloud system they've (Apple) decided to start limiting iCloud access to those in their store. As a result anybody that had been relying on iCloud sync but had purchased through the AgileBits' store ha felt cheated after that functionality was revoked.

If you don't care about iCloud sync support then you have nothing to worry about. It's the only real difference between the two versions.

• eveningclouds
    eveningclouds
    Community Member
    Options

Got it. Thanks for the clarification. I'm one of the lucky ones more or less unaffected.

I assume that the synch will also continue via Dropbox on my iPhone too.

Thanks again for the help.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I assume that the synch will also continue via Dropbox on my iPhone too.

Yes, it will. That's my own solution too.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @eveningclouds,

As mentioned above, Dropbox sync should work well for you - it's not affected by the iCloud changes at all. I'm using Dropbox sync as well, and haven't had any problems. If you do run into any issues though, we'll be glad to help! :smiley:

This discussion has been closed.