Compatibility Question Across Computers

Options
Darren Sinofsky
Darren Sinofsky
Community Member

I have two computers running Yosemite (2013 desktop and 2009 laptop) currently with 1P 3.8.22 sync'd two two iPhones running IOS8.1 via Dropbox. According to what i've read, it appears there are some limitations with the pre-2012 hardware (its not clear if that's just for icloud sync). I plan to continue using dropbox for sync. Can i upgrade to 1P5 on both machines? If I keep version 3.8 on the laptop, can i still share the same vault with the 1P5 version?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Darren Sinofsky‌ If all your machines are running Yosemite and your iOS devices iOS 8 then just to keep it simple I'd probably suggest keeping all copies current and running 1Password 5 unless you have a strong reason not to. I don't believe there is a reason why you couldn't run 1Password 3.8.22 on the laptop if you're syncing via Dropbox. You might have read about issues with 1Password 3.7.2 for iOS with Dropbox but I believe that's because the iOS app directly works with the Dropbox API while on OS X the Dropbox app takes care of all of that.

If your machines and devices are all capable of running Yosemite and iOS 8 though then they won't have any problems running 1Password 5. The iCloud issue is actually to do with the differences between the MAS version and the web store version of 1Password. In the past Apple didn't enforce the restriction that iCloud support was for MAS applications only, as of Yosemite they are. So it's caught a bunch of people and companies out. If you don't care about iCloud synchronisation then it's a non-issue for you. Syncing preferences though do seem to be quite personal - not quite like being a sports fan of a particular team but not far off it either.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@Darren Sinofsky

AFAIK @littlebobbytables‌ Is Correct, version 4 should be able to read and write to the v3 keychain (1password.agilekeychain) . 1Password 5 is still writing to that keychain file in v4, so you should be ok.

The only thing to remember is that some data added by the newer versions will not be available in the v3 keychain. Thats always been explained by the staff. example : Things like custom fields etc will not show in the older app.

I also agree if possible upgrading to 1Password 5 and or Yosemite would be the best and most likely to give you the best experience. IMHO

• Darren Sinofsky
    Darren Sinofsky
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! I was planning on upgrading to 1P 5 across devices so I'll do that - i've never had a problem over the last several years, through multiple upgrades. Guess the iCloud sync threw me off, but I won't be using it (for now anyway).

• eva_s
    eva_s
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Darren, it looks like you received some great advice from awesome members of our community. Let us know if you hit any snags or have any questions as you update your devices.

This discussion has been closed.