dazed and confused

Options
Bill Weaver
Bill Weaver
Community Member

Almost a week ago I upgraded my old Macpro. I have been using 1Password for many years so it was one of the first apps I tried to get going on the new Mac, but I ran into a problem similar to others using Dropbox for synch. It seems Dropbox de-activated my password which left me high and dry for using 1Password. All of my versions of 1Password were purchased through their store.

Because of poor customer service I am closing my dropbox account and moving everything over to Google Drive. So my question is can I synch 1Password (I haven't upgraded to ver.5 yet) with Google Drive or am I better off doing so with iCloud? I have moved all the 1password files from dropbox to Google, so I assume I can point 1Password to Google Drive.

If I need to synch with iCloud instead of Google how to I get all of my backup history etc. from Google to iCloud without losing everything?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Bill Weaver‌ It's probably worth while detailing what version of OS X and 1Password you were running and what you're either running now or intending to run in the not too distant future, also where did you purchase 1Password from?

The answers may affect the best advice for you. For example, if you last purchased 1Password 3 and haven't ever moved up to 1Password 4 then you'll need to purchase a new copy - my understanding is 1Password 4 was pretty much a complete rewrite. If that's the case and iCloud support is something you're interested in then you'd want to purchase from the Mac App Store and not direct from AgileBits - as of Yosemite Apple are not enforcing restrictions on apps that are allowed to access iCloud. If you've purchased 1Password 4 then 1Password 5 is a free update but only from the same location - purchasing from one doesn't automatically entitle you an update from the other store. That's where AgileBits themselves may need to assist you.

You can use Folder Sync with Google Drive, assuming Google Drive presents itself to OS X as simply part of the file system viewable in Finder. What may not work for you though is if you're hoping to sync iOS devices. If you want to sync an iPhone to your mac for example your options are Dropbox, iCloud and WiFi sync. Another word of warning - as of Yosemite and iOS 8, iCloud changed significantly and now only copies 1Password 5 can sync with each other when it comes to iCloud due to Apple's new CloudKit. Going back to Google Drive, Folder Sync should work but AgileBits simply haven't tested all the different cloud filesystems out there so it isn't clear cut like Dropbox or iCloud.

Lastly, syncing only keeps a copy of your vault in the sync service of your choice, backup history, preferences etc. are only stored locally. I'm pretty hazy when it comes to 1Password 3 but I think a lot changed between 3 & 4 so is it the case where you're used to what 1Password 3 did?

If you list what you have been using, what you're hoping to run and what devices you need to sync then somebody will post steps much more aimed at your situation. I've just tried to give you a broad overview.

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Bill Weaver‌,

Thank for taking the time to write to us and for explaining you needs with such detail :+1:

If you plan on using Google Drive as a syncing solution, please note that it can only be used (unofficially, basically Folder sync) on 1Password for Desktop (Mac and Windows). 1Password for iOS and Android do not support Google Drive (Folder) sync.

Also, please make sure that you go to the Syncing your 1Password data
    article from our User Guides. It shows all the pros and cons of each sync solution.

How ever if you plan on using using iCloud sync on Mac, you need to use the Mac App Store version of 1Password 5. For more info please take a look at our recent blog post about iCloud changes in 1Password 5.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can assist you with.

Cheers!

Rad

• Bill Weaver
    Bill Weaver
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the responses! Details are:

• My old Macpro is running Mountain Lion
    • 1Password version is 1Password 4 Version 4.4.3 (443000) Agile Web Store
    • New Macpro is running Mavericks which I'll likely upgrade to Yosemite after the bugs are worked out in it and iOS 8

I have not problem getting 1Password 5 from the App store but my main concern is not losing all of my passwords in the process. If my vault/database of passwords etc. are actually stored on my drive then I assume I can move them over to the new computer pretty easily, if that is not the case I'd appreciate some help in finding the appropriate folders.

Thanks again for your help.

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you @Bill Weaver‌ for send me more details.

1Password 4 and 5 both make automatic backups (see Preferences > Backups) which are located in ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/. Yes, both 1Password 4 and 5 store the backups here in /1Password 4/Backups/.

You can then copy the Backups folder on an external drive and use them when you launch 1Password on an new Mac. When 1Password prompts you to set up as a new or an existing user, choose existing user and restore from a recent backup.

I hope that this solution suits your needs.

Best,

Rad

• Bill Weaver
    Bill Weaver
    Community Member
    Options

I think I'm going to have to start from scratch again, I have not been able to find the ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/ files on the old Macbookpro in either the root library or the user/library. I did find the keychain if that helps. If I can use the keychain please let me know where to move it to or how to point IPW5 to it.

Thanks!

• Hi @Bill Weaver‌,

If you have the agilekeychain file, you're basically set. There's no "automatic setup" for agilekeychains (unless we find one in Dropbox, in that case we offer to set you up with a primary vault based on it and setup syncing for you). But we can still use it to get you up and running, we just need to use a slightly round-about way. Here's how I'd do this:

• Copy the agilekeychain file to somewhere like your desktop
    • Launch 1Password for the first time, and tell it you're a new user
    • Give it the same master password as you had before
    • Go into Preferences > Sync, and select Folder Sync, and point it to the agilekeychain on your desktop
    • 1Password will then import all of the data in the keychain
    • You can then disable Folder Sync

At this point you should have all of the data that was in the agilekeychain, and 1Password is no longer associated with it so you can either delete the file off your desktop, or store it somewhere for safe keeping in the event that you need it again.

I hope this helps.

Rick

• Bill Weaver
    Bill Weaver
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Rick!!
    It worked like a charm, now all I have to do is to get it to synch with my devices.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Bill Weaver‌ If you need any assistance with syncing then just post here and somebody will help :smile:

This discussion has been closed.