Can not install Firefox extension (Mac)

Options
OriginalEasyTarget
OriginalEasyTarget
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

I am unable to install the Firefox extension, as I always get the following error.

I have tried reinstalling FF and tried installing the extension on prior versions of FF and after every FF upgrade in case the underlying issue is fixed. The extension works just fine in Safari and Chrome, but I prefer to use FF for work.

I am on Yosemite, but this was also a problem before I upgraded.

Is there a file somewhere I can delete or something that can be reset that would allow me to install the extension?

Thanks

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Try:

1. removing any existing 1P extension in Firefox; then
    2. downloading and installing the extension directly from:

https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @OriginalEasyTarget‌

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having trouble here! Unfortunately, there's something wonky going on with the 1Password browser extension and Firefox 33. Please try using the Firefox ESR until we're able to release an update that fixes this.

• OriginalEasyTarget
    Options

Thank you for the replies... didn't realize anyone replied and only seeing now. Anyway, I installed FF 31 ESR and am still getting an error. Also tried installing manually via the link provided by Stephen_C and also get the error.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @OriginalEasyTarget‌

I'm running Firefox 33.0.2 on Yosemite 10.10 and it didn't bat an eyelid on installing the extension, version 4.2.4. Do all of those version numbers match for you?

If they do, I wonder if a brand new profile would behave any differently? Would you be willing to to try that out? Here's a link to using Firefox's Profile Manager.

Essentially, with Firefox completely closed use the following command in Terminal /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin -p. It'll launch the Profile Manager and there you can say don't load the default profile and create a new test one. From there you can see if the extension reports the same issue or not from a fresh, blank profile. Afterwards you can simply launch Firefox, delete the test profile and re-tick the Use the selected profile without asking at startup checkbox with the default profile selected. Then it'll be like you've never played about with the Profile Manager and your current profile remains untouched by the troubleshooting.

Look forward to hearing what you observe. After that it would be seeing if the beta extension works any better for you.

• OriginalEasyTarget
    Options

@littlebobbytables‌

Thank you! Installing on a fresh test profile indeed worked. Does that help troubleshoot the underlying problem, and can I do something to my current profile to allow it to work? Or must I bite the bullet and just go with a new profile... presumably loosing my bookmarks etc? I know I can export, import, etc... but is there a simpler solution?

Thanks again!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @OriginalEasyTarget‌ Thankfully it does help narrow down the problem but given I'm not a massive user of Firefox (big Opera fan until they went Chromium and then moved to Safari) I may not be the most enlightened person to help you at this point.

Given it's the extension that it giving you trouble maybe try the following (with Firefox not running).

In Finder use the ⇧⌘G keyboard shortcut and use the following location ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles. In there, right click on your profile's folder (it should be the only folder at a guess and will likely say default in the name) and select Duplicate. It should create a second folder with the word copy at the end of the name. That's your backup.

Now in your profile's folder, select anything with the word extension in the name. There may be an sqlite file, an ini file, a json file and a folder all called extensions. Delete them all (don't worry you have copies of all of them in the duplicate folder).

When you start up Firefox won't know about any extensions that you were previously running. Now, does the issue persist if you do that?

I've tested this myself and what I can say is Firefox didn't spit the dummy at the missing files and recreated those it needed. Even so, you have a duplicate folder in case you're worried. If we're lucky though, the extension can load and you won't have to throw away any more of that profile.

Keep us informed!

• OriginalEasyTarget
    Options

I already bit the bullet and created a new profile and imported or re-created my settings. Thanks for the follow-up though.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@OriginalEasyTarget‌ Sorry I couldn't offer up anything to make that easier but I'm glad we at least got the extension working again. I hope moving to a new profile wasn't too much effort. Hopefully it'll be plain sailing from now on :smile:

This discussion has been closed.