1PW mini connecting to clone drive and or external drive

Options
highlandladdie
highlandladdie
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

Hi I have a problem associated with Yosemite

My question is if I delete 1pw say using cleanmymac2 in order to enable me to once again add logins etc in 1pw, I assume my backups will go as well.
1pw currently displays a dialogue box in the top rh corner of each data page which states that my 'trial has expired' however I can download 5 from the app store.
I have asked tech support for advice and not heard a word except the following ref [#GBR-77985-274] [#TKS-99236-481 and the vague promise that a human will eventually be in touch.

Joe Kissell insists Agilebits support is first class!

Any help would be much appreciated, 1pw has enabled me to maintain my sanity with logins etc, in the meantime I am back to post it notes for new login data.

Many thanks

highlandladdie

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

The AgileBits suggested solution to the "trial expired" problem is to re-start your Mac. Does that solve the problem for you?

Don't use any app cleaner if you do want to uninstall. It is likely enthusiastically to delete your backups and other key data.

Stephen

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

@highlandladdie‌

Below is my personal experiences and some suggestions.

Apple has designed things so that the OS will look across partitions for apps and just about anything.

I often find it happens with helper apps as well. Sometimes for me it happens when I go to update apps. I get a notification an app is in use. I just checked and its not running on my Mac. The issue is the OS has looked across partitions and started an incorrect version. I also find when my backup drive is mounted it will often update apps on my backup drive. Which I do not always want it to do. For this reason, when I get update notifications. I always unmount my drive and relaunch the App store or refresh to make sure it only updates the apps residing on my current drive. I often keep the older apps just for reasons they may not work etc due to a bug, just like much of the population.

Running a cleaner app will most likely not help you. As you can see by my screen shots I could very well be affected by the same problem, if I am not careful as to which app I launch.

It looks like it is launching a copy from your backup hard drive. I have seen this in the past with several other apps. It will often become problematic in that I simply unmount the drive and eject it. You may need to restart the Mac to get the proper version launched.

I would check the login items, for a possible wrong item. It could be that simple especially if you have used the new spotlight to launch the app. Its possible that it launched the app on the other hard drive and when you went thru the setup process and enabled the mini, it simply enabled its local mini.

The good news is that your data would be in the appropriate place, (At least mine has been) just not the app being launched or the mini.

I do have to admit its not just Apple, Alfred has the issue as well. .

• Alfred Screen shot :

• Apple Spotlight screenshot : As you can see it finds version in my downloads folder.

• BikerBob
    BikerBob
    Community Member
    Options

Panic is beginning to set in.

I have a 2009 iMac which I just updated to Yosemite.

I have an external HD attached: 1/2 of that HD is for a Time Machine backup of my User folder only. The other 1/2 of that HD is for a clone of my HD which currently has the old Mavericks backup; the one I made just before updating from Mavericks to Yosemite.

When I start my iMac and launch 1P I get the alert: The system launched an incorrect version of 1P mini. Instead of ‘/Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Loginitems’ it started ‘/Volumes/Clone/Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Library/Loginitems’ Please make sure you have only one copy of 1Password on your Mac.

In the desktop Menubar is the old key icon for 1P, not the new keyhole icon.

When I dismiss the aforementioned alert, 1P launches, I am able to log in, and at the top of the 1P window is .

If I then quit 1P, log out, detach my external HD and log back in. I am back to the new keyhole icon in the desktop menubar and when I open 1P, I do NOT see .

How do I fix this so that, with the external HD clone attached, 1P does not launch the verion of 1P on the clone???

Many thanks.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hey @BikerBob‌

If you don't mind there is another used with the exact same issue. I am going to merge your topics. As the staff answer may help you both. I provided my experience in a post in that topic. But I would see what the staff has to say.

• BikerBob
    BikerBob
    Community Member
    Options

I tried this.

Ejected my clone.

Got the warning that it wouldn't eject because one or more programs was using it. (Yes! 1P). I force ejected it.
    I then used Spotlight to launch 1P, but I got the same warning: The system launched an incorrect version of 1P mini. Instead of ‘/Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Loginitems’ it started ‘/Volumes/Clone/Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Library/Loginitems’ Please make sure you have only one copy of 1Password on your Mac.

Once I see the old Key icon for 1P Mini, I know I am screwed and the only way to launch the proper version of 1P is to log out, detach my external Clone HD, then log back in.

It's interesting to note that the version of 1P on my clone is the 4x version but the version on my HD is the new 5.0 version.

Nonetheless, even when I get the alert message, if I check on the version of 1P that appears on my Mac, it's version 5.

• BikerBob
    BikerBob
    Community Member
    Options

I did find a temporary work around until this is solved.

Log out. Detach my external HD. Log back in and see that I have the correct icon for 1P mini. Turn the external HD back on.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

@BikerBob‌

Yosemite may look across drives even if they are still plugged in. I have not had this issue since Mavericks betas. Try unplugging it.

Its for this very reason alone I moved all my clones to an always on Mac and use CCC to clone across my LAN to my specific drive. My CrashPlan backups also are setup this way.

Edit : I see you already tried it. and found a partial solution.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

@BikerBob‌ @highlandladdie

You may be able to prevent spotlight from looking in the wrong locations by adding the external drive to the privacy section of spotlight preferences. This may or may not solve the issue for you. * I did have to restart to get the changes to take effect immediately. * I have never had the issue where the app launches from the wrong spot since upgrading to Yosemite. So could one of you please check and see if it resolves the issue you are experiencing?

I just added it to mine and it no longer finds the additional version for me.

• Before adding to the privacy section and the additonal downloads in the external drive :

• After adding to the privacy section and the additional downloads in the external drive :

• BikerBob
    BikerBob
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

This seems to have worked for me, too.

On my HD, I excluded my Clone from Spotlight, logged out and back in and I got the keyhole icon in the menubar and the version of 1P that opened was the version on my HD, not the version on the clone.

Happy camper here. :-)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @BikerBob‌,

I'm so glad to hear that @thightower‌ was able to get things sorted out for you - we do so like happy campers! :)

• BikerBob
    BikerBob
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Megan.

• highlandladdie
    highlandladdie
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan, Lars and everyone offering advice, many thanks for your time and efforts.
    I have tried excluding the clone from spotlight I have also tried quitting 1PW whilst holding down the control key, un-mounting my backup, disconnecting and restarting, none of which makes the slightest difference. I still have the 'Trial Expired message and can't edit or add data.
    Clearly I am not alone in having this problem and there are multiple work arounds being offered which obviously are working in some instances. However why isn't there a definitive answer to what appears to be a not un-common problem?
    Thanks again, highlandladdie

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @highlandladdie,

Since you are now talking to our team directly via email, let's keep the conversation going directly there. If the stated workarounds are not helping in your case, then there might be a unique problem, which will be more easily dealt with via email, where we can request details such as Diagnostics Reports.

ref: TKS-99236-481

• jwarthman
    jwarthman
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

It's unfortunate that this conversation was taken away from this public discussion forum, because others are wondering about it...

I'm revisiting this old thread because someone on a Mac mailing list asked a similar question. He had the impression that agilebits recommends deleting all copies of 1Password other than the one on the user's boot drive. I don't get that from this thread, and have a few questions:

1. Has this problem been solved with more recent versions of OS X and/or 1Password?
    2. Is the work-around of telling Spotlight not to index the backup/clone drive(s) still necessary and recommended?

Thanks,

Jim

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Has this problem been solved with more recent versions of OS X and/or 1Password?

No—it is a Yosemite problem which still seems to appear in OS X 10.10.2.

Is the work-around of telling Spotlight not to index the backup/clone drive(s) still necessary and recommended?

Although that is a work around that has apparently worked for some it's not AgileBits' preferred work around. AgileBits recommends excluding the 1P app (app file only) from backups and deleting any existing 1P app from the backup drive. There has been a more recent suggestion from AgileBits which involves detaching the backup drive, rebooting the Mac, re-launching 1P then re-attaching the backup drive—in the hope, I think, that may train Yosemite to start the correct copy. I've not yet seen feedback from users as to whether or not that last method works.

Stephen

• jwarthman
    jwarthman
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for that update, Stephen. So here are two more questions! :)

1. What's the best way to tell definitively that the wrong copy of 1Password and/or 1Password Mini has been launched?
    2. Are there other current/recent threads on this topic?

Thanks,

Jim

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

What's the best way to tell definitively that the wrong copy of 1Password and/or 1Password Mini has been launched?

1P will usually have a minor strop and throw up an error message giving a path name that will be something other than your Applications folder. I'm not sure if that's definitive enough for you but it's the only thing I can think of at the moment. Of course, if you launch 1P and find your data is missing that is another clue. ;)

Are there other current/recent threads on this topic?

Yes but just at the moment I don't have time to use the forum's search facility to look for them, sorry. Forgive me, but it's just before bed time here and I'm having a quick canter through the forums seeing if there are any other posts with which I can help. I usually seach on something like "wrong version", which is general enough the throw up the threads.

Stephen

• jwarthman
    jwarthman
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Stephen. Yes, if the issue is always accompanied with an error message, that's definitive enough for me! :-)

I had already searched the forum without finding much, but was probably being too restrictive with my search terms. No worries, I've found a couple no, that I'll watch.

Thanks,

Jim

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It looks like Stephen_C has answered all of your questions @jwarthman but if you have any follow up questions please do let us know.

This discussion has been closed.