Using 1Password across multiple versions

Options
p99
p99
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

Hi guys,

Ever since I got 1Password a few days ago, I'm experiencing major difficulties on my different devices - which was the whole reason for using this app in the first place. I just love the TouchID integration and think this should be the main way for authentication these days. So I really hope you can help me out.

NOTE: I CANNOT UPDATE devices to other OS versions, due to compatibility issues with other software (ass well as the obvious speed compromise with older hardware vs newer OS's)

SITUATION

• 1 MBP on OSX Lion – work

• 1 MBP on Mountain Lion – personal

• 1 iPhone 4 (iOS5) – work

• 1 iPhone 5s (iOS8). Using Safari and/or Chrome – personal

• Synchronized Chrome account on all desktops and smartphones.

• OSX Lion and Mountain Lion need a different 1Password app.

• iOS 5 and iOS 8 need a different 1Password app.

This should all be fine, because I'm synching with Dropbox.
In theory. The real world however, proves to be quite different as it turns out.

ISSUES

1. You need a different browser extension for Google Chrome to enable the features of 1Password 3 vs 4. Which is a problem because my Chrome browser automatically syncs.

2. The autofill of 1Password mini app on OSX Lion doesn't work. It just goes to open the website with a special http query at the end, but that's it. This would be an okay alternative when the browser extension doesn't work because you don't need to start the full application for something small like this. But well, you have to.

3. No way to enter a new login in 1Password mini app on OSX Lion. Again, this would be an okay alternative when the browser extension doesn't work. But well, you know it by now.

4. iPhone 4 cannot download a 1Password app, because it needs iOS8. Which is something that is not even possible on iPhone 4.

5. 1PW 5 @ iPhone 5 cannot automatically enter passwords in Chrome, which is my main browser.

6. 1PW 5 @ iPhone 5 cannot automatically enter passwords in apps (as far as the major apps I know of).

7. In practice, I now have to copy-paste all passwords MANUALLY which is superslow on Desktop and a completely no go on iOS.

8. Furthermore, most mobile apps and mobile website login forms don't even allow you to paste a password. So this makes it HELL to enter a randomly generated password.

Maybe I'm the only one experiencing this issues, but I actually have used Lastpass for a long time and never ran into this trouble. I got fed up by their outdated design but now I'm starting to think I made a wrong turn here.

Hope to hear from you soon!

best,

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @p99,

Thanks so much for writing such a detailed report of your situation. I'd be happy to help get your sorted out here.

1. You need a different browser extension for Google Chrome to enable the features of 1Password 3 vs 4. Which is a problem because my Chrome browser automatically syncs.

I can see how this is a bit annoying. The solution is to disable Chrome's extension sync in chrome://extensions. I wish I had a better answer for you here, but unfortunately, that's the best way to deal with these incompatible extensions.

1. The autofill of 1Password mini app on OSX Lion doesn't work. It just goes to open the website with a special http query at the end, but that's it. This would be an okay alternative when the browser extension doesn't work because you don't need to start the full application for something small like this. But well, you have to.

Once the page is open, are you able to use ⌘\ ( Command- \ ) to fill the details? Could you explain your steps in a bit more detail here? I'd also love to know the exact version numbers of 1Password for all your computers and devices - if you have further questions, it will really help :)

1. No way to enter a new login in 1Password mini app on OSX Lion. Again, this would be an okay alternative when the browser extension doesn't work. But well, you know it by now.

Here's how to create a new Login using the browser extension in 1Password 3:

• Edit the login that you currently have for this website by appending an "Old" to the title - just so you can tell them apart.
    • Visit the site and fill in the fields you want filled. Do NOT click the login button.
    • Click the 1Password extension, and unlock it if necessary
    • Click the + button in the corner.
    • Give the entry a unique and identifiable title.
    • Click Save.
    • Revisit the site and see if 1Password fills in the site correctly.
    1. iPhone 4 cannot download a 1Password app, because it needs iOS8. Which is something that is not even possible on iPhone 4.

Please see this post for a possible workaround. I do apologize for the trouble.

1. 1PW 5 @ iPhone 5 cannot automatically enter passwords in Chrome, which is my main browser.

Unfortunately, on iOS, the extensions need to be enabled by the developer of the app in question. So here, Google would need to add the 1Password extension. We have opened a feature request with Google for this - I sincerely hope they add it soon!

1. 1PW 5 @ iPhone 5 cannot automatically enter passwords in apps (as far as the major apps I know of).

As I've mentioned in my response to #5, we can't simply add the 1Password extension to all of the apps (believe me, if we could, we would!) But Apple has some pretty strict sandboxing regulations put into place that govern how iOS apps can interact with each other (namely, they can't without specific permissions), so the extension must be enabled by each app. If you'd like to see some of the apps that have already added 1Password support, please see Apps that Love 1Password. Also, feel free to send a message to your favourite app devs with a link to our github page that explains how completely simple it is to add 1Password support. :)

1. In practice, I now have to copy-paste all passwords MANUALLY which is superslow on Desktop and a completely no go on iOS.

You should certainly not have to copy and paste manually on desktop. For those cases where you do have to on iOS, we've done our best to make the process as easy as possible: a simple swipe when viewing the entry in list mode will copy the password for easy pasting.

1. Furthermore, most mobile apps and mobile website login forms don't even allow you to paste a password. So this makes it HELL to enter a randomly generated password.

I haven't come across many mobile apps that disable password pasting (but it's entirely possible that you and I use a completely different set of apps.) If there are certain passwords that you find yourself needing to type in more than once, you might want to consider using Diceware. These easy to remember (and type!) passwords are described in our security guru's post: Towards Better Master Passwords. I use Diceware for my Dropbox password, as well as my AppleIDs, because Apple seems to have an annoying habit of asking me to enter both on a far-too-regular basis.

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions, we're here for you!

• p99
    p99
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan, first of all: thanks for taking the time to write an elaborate answer (to my elaborate questions).
    Now let me reply inline as well, to try and keep this conversation somewhat structured :wink:

Extension

I can see how this is a bit annoying. The solution is to disable Chrome's extension sync in chrome://extensions. I wish I had a better answer for you here, but unfortunately, that's the best way to deal with these incompatible extensions.

I'm afraid that's not an option. I'm using a lot of extensions and even other computers when I'm on the road, so it would be even more work to disable this for 1 incompatible extension. But please tell me: why is there actually no universal extension of 1Password? I've never seen this kind of behavior with any other extension.

Autofill

Once the page is open, are you able to use ⌘\ ( Command- \ ) to fill the details? Could you explain your steps in a bit more detail here? I'd also love to know the exact version numbers of 1Password for all your computers and devices - if you have further questions, it will really help :)

This issue seems to be related to the extension issue. I'm often getting an exclamation mark in the settings of the extension. When (if) it all works it does do autofill. But this is very unstable. Btw: I'm using the latest application versions (at least thats what the in-app updaters tell me). v4.4.3 on ML, can't check v3 right now.

New login

Here's how to create a new Login using the browser extension in 1Password 3:

Edit the login that you currently have for this website by appending an "Old" to the title - just so you can tell them apart.
    Visit the site and fill in the fields you want filled. Do NOT click the login button.
    Click the 1Password extension, and unlock it if necessary
    Click the + button in the corner.
    Give the entry a unique and identifiable title.
    Click Save.
    Revisit the site and see if 1Password fills in the site correctly.

Okay, but there's no "+" button in any corner. Not in mini or the extension. That's what my question is about.
    Example: trying to add a new account on RTM. Not possible. https://www.dropbox.com/s/g69yvws67f3ytq5/Screenshot 2014-10-29 01.22.15.png?dl=0

App for iPhone 4

Please see this post for a possible workaround. I do apologize for the trouble.

I looked into this. Unfortunately the workaround by Wraith via "Purchases" doesn't work for me.

Support for Chrome on iOS

Unfortunately, on iOS, the extensions need to be enabled by the developer of the app in question. So here, Google would need to add the 1Password extension. We have opened a feature request with Google for this - I sincerely hope they add it soon!

Very unfortunate indeed :'(

Support for other apps on iOS

As I've mentioned in my response to #5, we can't simply add the 1Password extension to all of the apps (believe me, if we could, we would!) But Apple has some pretty strict sandboxing regulations put into place that govern how iOS apps can interact with each other (namely, they can't without specific permissions), so the extension must be enabled by each app. If you'd like to see some of the apps that have already added 1Password support, please see Apps that Love 1Password. Also, feel free to send a message to your favourite app devs with a link to our github page that explains how completely simple it is to add 1Password support. :)

Yeah, I've seen that list. It's cool and I have exactly 2 apps in it. All major apps are missing: I'm talking Dropbox, Spotify, Evernote, Youtube, Soundcloud, LinkedIn, Twitter, Imdb... that sort of thing

Copy-paste

You should certainly not have to copy and paste manually on desktop. For those cases where you do have to on iOS, we've done our best to make the process as easy as possible: a simple swipe when viewing the entry in list mode will copy the password for easy pasting.

Yeah, well if autofull doesn't work because of browser extension trouble I pretty much have to. What would be helpful in iOS to make it even more easy is a press-hold to copy in just 1 action. Just a suggestion.

Fields protected from paste

I haven't come across many mobile apps that disable password pasting (but it's entirely possible that you and I use a completely different set of apps.) If there are certain passwords that you find yourself needing to type in more than once, you might want to consider using Diceware. These easy to remember (and type!) passwords are described in our security guru's post: Towards Better Master Passwords. I use Diceware for my Dropbox password, as well as my AppleIDs, because Apple seems to have an annoying habit of asking me to enter both on a far-too-regular basis.

Sorry, this last issue is mistaken – my bad! I just tried many apps again and noticed most of them actually DO work. So this was actually just 1 app, the rest was related to "auto-clearing of clipboard" I think. Oh and thanks for the tip about Diceware – never heard about that so will look into that anyway.

Final verdict

For now, I guess I'll just gotta switch back to Lastpass or start using Chrome passwords sync to escape this limbo. Don't wanna spend days on hacking some cardhouse together that will likely collapse with your next update anyway. Too bad, because I was so happy with the TouchID! :neutral_face:
    So where do I send a message to request a money refund? Because my recent message about receiving an invoice for my license was never responded to (I've used a webform on your site somewhere).

best,

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @p99,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're considering switching away from 1Password.

I'm often getting an exclamation mark in the settings of the extension.

Thanks for clarifying! The exclamation mark shows up when communication between the main app and the extension has been blocked. This is something that we can get fixed up for you! That should make your experience with the extension much smoother. If you're interested in working through this, we'll need to see a Diagnostics Report from your Macs (running 1Password 3):

https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#mac3

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you.

Okay, but there's no "+" button in any corner. Not in mini or the extension. That's what my question is about.

My apologies! The instructions I provided you with were for 1Password 3 - since that's what you seemed to be having issue with in your earlier questions. In 1Password 4, the extension design is a bit different. Click on the gear icon in the top right corner to open the menu and you'll see a 'Save new Login' option. There are full instructions in our user guide: Save a New Login Manually

So where do I send a message to request a money refund? Because my recent message about receiving an invoice for my license was never responded to (I've used a webform on your site somewhere).

Again, I really hope that we can solve things for you so that you can continue to use 1Password. However, if you do decide you'd like a refund, we'll of course honour our 30-day guarantee. If you purchased directly from our webstore, please email in your purchase information with a description of your situation (a link to this thread would be helpful as well.) If you purchased from the Mac App Store, you will have to request a refund from Apple directly, as they do not allow us any access to their purchase records.

Please do let me know if we can further investigate these issues - we'd love to help!

• p99
    p99
    Community Member
    Options

Like I said – no time to waste any more effort on bug report that get filled away in a hidden damp digital storage box... sorry.

However, I did find a temp solution for the browser problem until you guys get your stuff together: i just have both extensions installed at the same time. Gives some errors but it works well enough in Chrome.

iPhone 4: no solution – can you not put the old app in the App Store under a different name? Like "1Password Legacy" or something?

I'm giving it another week to decide. Where do I email for this and the invoice? Still no reply on my previous message.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @p99,

I can assure you that a Diagnostics Report is not a bug report that will get filed away ... it's a quick look at your system that can help us see where things are getting tangled up.

In any case, I did take a look in our system for any messages from the email address linked to your forum account, but I did not see any. If you used a different address, please let me know so I can search for your previous message.

As I mentioned above, if you decide you'd like to send in the Diagnostics Report, you can use the email address: support+forum@agilebits.com.

• p99
    p99
    Community Member
    Options

I STILL NEED AN INVOICE!
    Please get on this because I don't keep talking to bots.
    Thanks.

Hello there!

You are receiving this message because my human friends have not had the chance to reply to your message. I am sorry that we have not had the chance to respond to you earlier.

Our team has been very busy, and there have been updates to all versions of 1Password, adding some very nice features and fixing many of the most common issues. They have also been busy adding troubleshooting guides to our knowledgebase and providing answers in our discussion forums. I am very hopeful that you have been able to get things working or have found your answer in our knowledgebase or on our discussion forum.

If you are still having issues, we would very much like the chance to help you - your support ticket number is XRE-89237-427. If you reply directly to this email, our team will get back to you as quickly as possible.

Cheers!

BitBot
    Your Friendly AgileBits Robot

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014
    Options

Hi @p99,

I found your email message and see that someone here sent you a reply earlier today. If you didn't receive that, please check any junk folders or spam filters in case it was caught there.

We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. Thanks! :)

ref: XRE-89237-427

This discussion has been closed.