Syncing across computers

Options
canadianeh
canadianeh
Community Member

I'm sure it's something simple,
But I have two macs and two iOS devices all backing up and restoring from the cloud. When I first set up s computer, the passwords are all pulled in....

But they don't sync up with any amount of regularity. Any new passwords created on my iMac don't ever show up on my MacBook pro, or vice versa....

Even though they will both say something like, last sync was 3 minutes ago.

What am I doing wrong? How do I get them more in sync?

Comments

• Hi @canadianeh,

I'm sorry about the issues you're having with iCloud sync in 1Password.

But they don't sync up with any amount of regularity. Any new passwords created on my iMac don't ever show up on my MacBook pro, or vice versa....

Before we proceed, can you tell me which version of 1Password you're using on both Macs? To find out, open the main 1Password app and go to the 1Password Menu > About 1Password. It should give you the version and it will also indicate if you bought it at the Mac App Store.

In addition, can you tell me if you're signed into the same iCloud account on both Macs?

But I have two macs and two iOS devices all backing up and restoring from the cloud.

Just to be clear, there are no cloud-based backups in 1Password. 1Password only backs up on your local drive. The iCloud feature you're using is a sync service, it will sync your data across devices but it is not a backup nor a restore feature in iCloud.

• canadianeh
    canadianeh
    Community Member
    Options

They are both running App Store version 5 - both synced with the same iCloud.

But here's an example. Updated a password earlier today - about 8 hours ago on my iMac. Also added a new password for a new site.

On my Macbook Pro now and it doesn't have the updated password or the new password.

It shows as last synced 3 mins ago.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @canadianeh‌

So you've got 2 machines and two iOS devices. Your machines must be running Yosemite if you're running 1Password 5 for Mac from the MAS and I'm guessing you're running 1Password 5 for iOS and iOS 8 on your iOS devices.

Can I ask, how long have you been running iCloud sync? was it prior to the release if iOS 8 and Yosemite and you have upgraded to Apple's new version of iCloud (they may reference it is iCloud Drive - you only get the see the wording once and then never again).

Can I also ask, how out of sync are the four devices now? Do you have entries on each device that aren't on others or have you kept one vault completely current? If once device holds everything I wonder if it would be useful to try disabling sync on all devices and starting with a fresh sync. If that doesn't sound too onerous we can detail the steps here to ensure you have a working backup and then what to do to move forward.

This discussion has been closed.