How does one buy 1P5 for Mac to get CloudKit support while not on Yosemite for now?

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: 1Password Updates for Everyone email (v4 –> v5).

Comments

• bgrow
    bgrow
    Community Member
    Options

So, what does one do, how does one make a 1Password purchase decision if they're in the trial period using 1Password4 for Mac and (A) they're not ready to pull the trigger on Yosemite in the foreseeable future (given the local/network software app implications), and (B) same situation for iOS 8? It appears the Apple app store ONLY sells 1Password5 (and quite intrusively kicks me out from purchasing because I haven't upgraded to required Yosemite/iOS8) and thus, I forfeit any future iCloud sync potential by having to buy from AgileBits webstore…?!

In other words: how does one buy/license 1Password4 for Mac today without (1) having to upgrade to OS Yosemite or (2) give up future iCloud/CloudKit features/benefits?

Fully understand I'm likely missing something, may have overlooked the answer—if so, please direct me. But, I've spent a couple hours trying to gather answers across various websites, knowledge bases, etc….and I'm just not seeing it. Very convoluted selling proposition...In fact, finding the legacy iPassword4 downloads wasn't exactly easy/intuitive. From the trial I like the product, and am ready to bring into workflow. I am happy to spend the $, see the value…but, sheesh, it's certainly not a straightforward purchase. Honestly, it's hard not to have doubts about the product when the feature set marketing/selling information between Agilebits and Apple is so out-of-sync…

Thanks in advance for any guidance, help resolving.

• Hi @bgrow,

I’ve split your post out from the other thread as you have very good questions that’s not related to the other thread.

I do apologize for the mess on this, we're trying to clean up and provide more detailed information as we continue to figure out the best path for everybody.

In other words: how does one buy/license 1Password4 for Mac today without (1) having to upgrade to OS Yosemite or (2) give up future iCloud/CloudKit features/benefits?

That’s a very tough situation because as you found out, the Mac and iOS App Store will not let you buy 1Password if you’re not on Yosemite nor iOS 8 first.

Some people have gotten around this by installing Yosemite in a different partition, a virtual machine and/or use a different Mac running Yosemite. For an example, if you have a friend with a Mac running Yosemite, you can go to that, ask the friend to sign out and you sign in to buy 1Password and sign back out.

When that happens, you might be able to download 1Password 4 from the Mac App Store on your current Mavericks Mac as Apple offers compatible updates to existing customers. Once you upgrade to Yosemite in the future, 1Password 5 will be offered as a direct free update.

Honestly, it's hard not to have doubts about the product when the feature set marketing/selling information between Agilebits and Apple is so out-of-sync…

The main thing is CloudKit/iCloud sync, it can only be used in the Mac App Store and not anywhere else.

If you use Dropbox or Wi-Fi sync, it will not matter as both products are identical and you can use Dropbox or Wi-Fi sync between 1Password 4 and 1Password 5 on various platforms.

If you stick with Dropbox, you don't have to worry about this as you can use 1Password to sync between: Mavericks, Yosemite, iOS 7, iOS 8, and also Android/Windows if you have that. You do have a lot of flexibility with Dropbox that iCloud doesn't have.

For Wi-Fi sync, it works between iOS 7, 8, Mavericks, Yosemite, and Windows but it has the limitation of no attachment/multiple vault support on iOS 7/Mavericks. Windows support attachments only if you use the OPvault format.

To get a better sense of how to proceed, please email us at support+licenses@agilebits.com, and we can help you further with this by getting a bit more information that shouldn't be on the public forum here.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.