Sync and view Multiple Vaults on multiple devices.

Options
barbarino351
barbarino351
Community Member

I've searched and searched, read posts, topics, manuals etc, but I'm lost.

I have 3 vaults for now, with an expected 5 more for work.

1. Personal
  2. Work
  3. Family

I can sync my personal vault with no problem between my Mac, Ipad and Android phone.

How do I view my other vaults on my Ipad? The Ipad App now tells me I need to spent an additional $10? Is this accurate? Your mac app description clearly states no subscription or other fees. Please clarify.

How do I view my other vaults on my Android phone?

My co workers will be using Windows machines, will they be able to view multiple vaults?

Can different vaults sync differently?
Example:
Family syncs via icloud
Work syncs folder or drop box

Thanks

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Viewing multiple vaults in the iOS version is a feature that is only accessible of you purchase the Pro version inside the application. It is true that there are no other fees within the Mac version. Just remember that the licenses are sold on a per user, per platform basis. iOS is a different platform from OS X.

Sorry, I am not familiar with the Android application, so I can't answer that question.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@barbarino351‌

Both the Android version and to some extent the Windows version are both much younger versions compared to their Apple counterparts. One area where there is catching up to be done would seem to be secondary vaults. I'm being informed Android can only work with a single vault at the moment and while Windows can work with multiple vaults it isn't quite like how the Mac does but it can swap between keychains.

With 1Password 5 for iOS AgileBits are trying a slightly different approach. When I purchased 1Password 3 and then 4 for iOS they were upfront purchases for the full product - AgileBits has always made a distinction between the different platforms and they've never been able to do a bundle that covers both an iTunes iOS app purchase and an application from anywhere else. With 1Password 5 for iOS they decided to try out the freemium model. You can use many of the basic features for free and if your needs are covered by those then technically you would never have to purchase the Pro purchase. So if when you say additional you mean in addition to purchasing the OS X version then you'd be correct that there would be this additional purchase cost but if you've purchased 1Password 4 for iOS in the past then all going smoothly it should have recognised that purchase and you should have received the pro features for free.

As to your last question, secondary vaults can only be synchronised over Dropbox at the moment (technically Folder Sync too but for many reasons you may want to just consider Dropbox for now). Now you can synchronise your primary vault via iCloud and then all secondary vaults via Dropbox but iCloud will only sync the primary due to how it works.

Does that help clarify at all?

• barbarino351
    barbarino351
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Yes and no.

Look at their own words:

_Easy, secure sharing

Create additional vaults and share them securely with your family or team members. Automatic syncing keeps everyone up-to-date._
    **Not exactly true. **

_Endless sharing opportunities:

Business logins with your co-workers
    Personal information with your spouse
    Encryption keys with your dev team
    Estate planning with your loved ones_

**Not exactly true. **

Multiple vaults
    _
    Keep your information organized by creating multiple vaults to separate client work, archive old logins and keep personal information personal._
    **Not exactly true. **

_
    Your data, all your devices

Keep your critical information with you wherever you go. 1Password can sync your data across all your devices and keep them up to date automatically._
    **Not exactly true. **

No where does its state the limitations, furthermore on the Mac App Store they also aren't being completely honest. There should be a chart showing you exactly what each platform can and cannot do. I bought this software primarily for work. I would get fired if I rolled this out to my bosses.

If an app on the mac app store requires something else purchased on your other apple device to take advantage of the full functionality of the app then they should be honest and disclose that. I actually blame Apple in this case. I've never had this happen with any other apps.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@barbarino351‌

It's tough. I read the MAS description and when read in the context of the Mac version of 1Password it's correct. 1Password for Mac can have multiple vaults, you can share them with others via the likes of Dropbox and there aren't any fees or subscriptions for the continued use of 1Password. You'll receive a bunch of free updates (I last purchased it over a year ago now and I'm currently running the latest version at no extra cost). Now at some point they may make a new version a paid update (everybody has to keep paying their bills) but it won't stop your previous version working. Heck, there was a post recently of one person still rocking 1Password 3 on both mac and iOS devices.

Now there are differences between the platforms and while the laudable goal is comparative features on all platforms it does take time to achieve that, especially if you're a small company. Look how neglected Microsoft Office for Mac usually is and Microsoft is massive! So features tend to start off in one and then migrate over to the others and multiple vaults are still pretty new - AgileBits know there are improvements they can make.

Saying that, AgileBits try to make each platform a stand alone product, one where you don't need a companion app or such. If you don't own a mac or a computer for that matter you don't need 1Password for Windows or Mac, you can simply run the iOS or Android version. For that approach to be viable though they need to recoup costs on each platform. Say they decided to give away the iOS version but charged everybody more for the desktop versions would that be better? Wouldn't somebody who doesn't have an iOS device not feel somewhat aggrieved? As I said at the start it's tough.

The goal is feature sync, anything you can so on one you can do on another, that just takes time to achieve.

As for costing, I can't see there ever being a point where companies that wish to deal with iTunes, MAS and the Google App store (just to name a couple) will ever be able to come up with a unified approach. Apple don't allow cross platform bundling and I doubt Google are any better. Each wants to keep their ecosystem as uncontaminated as they can - that can sometimes be the price for dealing with these portals.

This discussion has been closed.