Sync question among 1Password for Mac and 1Password for iOS

Options
CityGal
CityGal
Community Member

I've been using 1Password for years on both my Macs and my iOS devices. Up until the recent major update, I've been using the iCloud sync to keep my iMac, iPhone 5S and iPad Air in sync with my 1Password data. Because I got the update from AgileBits website and not the App Store, I understand I can no longer use iCloud to sync my data (which used to be automatic and seamless). I am now back to using WiFi sync, which does work but is more cumbersome. Here's my question-

Will there be any sync at all between my iPhone and iPad if I am not sitting at my iMac with 1Password open and running and Settings open? It seems when I open 1Password on ALL three devices that the sync is already taking place when I go into Settings. If there is a way for the iOS devices to sync between them when I'm away from my iMac, that would be great. I do not use my iMac every day, nor do I always open up 1Password on it unless I expressly need to. But if I must in order to get my passwords and other data in sync on all three devices, then I will. But I'd really like to know what is necessary and what isn't. The iCloud sync happened whether devices had the program open or not. How nice to have that functionality again, but short of my purchasing 1Password for Mac through the App Store to own a second copy, I think I'm out of luck.

I'd like to avoid doing work that I don't need to do, of course.

All devices are running the most current version of their respective operating systems and of 1Password, fwiw.

Thanks for the clarity.

CityGal

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @CityGal‌

The first question I'd like to ask is have you considered Dropbox as an alternative to iCloud? Now you may have done so and discounted it for one of many reasons but I just wanted to check. If you're willing to make use of it then Dropbox could be used as pretty much a seamless replacement for how you were using iCloud, in fact there are certain things possible with Dropbox that aren't with iCloud.

Now if you have your reasons for not using Dropbox then at the moment your two options would be either purchasing via the Mac App Store (I can understand why that would seem unacceptable) or the WiFi sync. They have made some improvements to WiFi sync lately, restoring automatic syncing for example. In 1Password 4 you had to bring up a WiFi sync window and manually sync on the iOS device. Now you can set 1Password 5 to automatically sync but yes, the devices have be on the same network and 1Password has to be unlocked on both the mac and the iOS device. As you've noted it's also only mac to iOS device so you can't sync between iOS devices. I know they're hoping to continue improving WiFi sync but I don't think iOS to iOS is on the cards. On this it's best to ignore that badge of mine, I'm pretty new to AgileBits so could be wrong.

I think Dropbox may be your best bet to a much more convenient sync setup though. How would you feel about that?

• CityGal
    CityGal
    Community Member
    Options

I will consider using Dropbox to sync but I'm not totally wild about the idea. And no, I'm not going to buy 1Password once again through the App Store. I've spent quite a bit of $ on the iOS and Mac versions of the program over the past several years. I understand why Apple chooses to do what they do, but I've owned this program since before there was an App Store for Macs and as excellent a suite of program versions as it is (and I'd not consider owning any of these devices without it)!

I've discovered a bug in both the iOS device version and the Mac version and I've yet to figure out where to report it. But it needs to be mentioned. I guess I'll start a new thread.

Thanks for your thoughts.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @CityGal‌ As long as it doesn't require divulging anything you consider secret please feel free to post bugs here in the forum. We can see if the bug is a known one and if not add it to the bug tracker so the right people are in the know.

This discussion has been closed.