Suggestion MobileMe Sync

Comments

• KraetzichriZ
    edited December 1969
    Is here happening something?
    Dropbox is Beta, where is MobileMe sync?
  • Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969

WebDAV sync is something that will implemented in the future, but we don't have a timeframe to give you. We appreciate your enthusiasm and look forward to offering this feature.
  • KraetzichriZ
    edited December 1969
    Well, Dropbox is free and I can use it, if I want this feature.

But I pay for MobileMe and have my own webdav servers. I don't want to use a free service and store my life with all my passwords on this service...

The thing that makes me nervous about this is, that if you take a look at the passwords file, you see not the passwords, but the url's and so on in clear text.
    If dropbox lost (my) data, everyone see that I got an account on rotten.com and farmsex.com for example. I don't want this...

Hope you understand, why I want to use MobileMe or my own WebDav Server. Of course I got no account on farmsex dot com, but I care about my private data.
    You also don't want to sync this over google docs, or? :P

Best regards,
    Chris
  • roustem
    edited December 1969

Chris,

The main reason we put MobileMe/WebDAV syncing on hold is that we already have many users that sync their 1Password for Mac/Windows using Dropbox. Adding Dropbox syncing to iPhone allows them to keep using the same solution, without the need to add MobileMe/WebDAV to the mix.
  • Meku
    Meku
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    roustem wrote:
    Chris,

The main reason we put MobileMe/WebDAV syncing on hold is that we already have many users that sync their 1Password for Mac/Windows using Dropbox. Adding Dropbox syncing to iPhone allows them to keep using the same solution, without the need to add MobileMe/WebDAV to the mix.

Guys, I don't want to sound like an ass but you've been promising MobileMe sync for over a 6 months now. I think you fail to understand that MANY users who use MobileMe (there are over million subscribers) don't want deal with Dropbox. It's perfectly fine if you want to be tinkering around with couple of cloud services but for those who want to keep it simple (thats why we have MobileMe in the first place) don't want the hassle. We just want it to work. Any explanation other then the actual release of the said feature after 6 months wait is just load of crap. On the 1Password Pro iPhone App Store page you still tell that MobileMe/WebDAV is coming soon... get serious guys...
  • rvietri
    edited December 1969
    While I am also waiting for WebDAV/MobileME support. I am more than happy to use Dropbox for now. I do understand that they have limited resources and thousands of users all with their own version of priorities whether that be the Chrome plugin, iPad support, Dropbox, WebDAV etc.. The updates and new features have been fast and furious (as well as free) so I am more than happy to wait a bit longer for the WebDAV support.

While I do understand your concern on the privacy side of the cleartext URLs and names etc.. It is obviously worth noting that all data sent to dropbox is encrypted via SSL and all data stored on the Amazon S3 servers is encrypted as well. While of course it's not impossible for someone to get around all of that, if they are that desperate to know which websites you visit, there are far easier ways..

Give the Dropbox team a break for a bit. Now that the iPad version is out and both the Chrome plugin and Dropbox support are almost there, I'm sure WebDAV priority will be shifted up again shortly.
  • gkida
    edited December 1969
    Jamie wrote:
    Tommy is correct. We've been working on WebDAV synching which will work with MobileMe as well. I don't have an ETA to give right now, but it's a fairly high priority for us.

Jamie, considering it has been almost 9 months I would not consider this to be a HIGH PRIORITY. It is quite unfortunate that such a highly requested (for so long) is still not present within your application. I feel like I am back on Windows OS where I had to install one app to make another app work the right
  • gkida
    edited December 1969
    Well, Dropbox is free and I can use it, if I want this feature.

But I pay for MobileMe and have my own webdav servers. I don't want to use a free service and store my life with all my passwords on this service...

The thing that makes me nervous about this is, that if you take a look at the passwords file, you see not the passwords, but the url's and so on in clear text.
    If dropbox lost (my) data, everyone see that I got an account on rotten.com and farmsex.com for example. I don't want this...

Hope you understand, why I want to use MobileMe or my own WebDav Server. Of course I got no account on farmsex dot com, but I care about my private data.
    You also don't want to sync this over google docs, or? :P

Best regards,
    Chris

I AGREE with you a 100%. Also, I feel like in order to make one application work well I need to install another one.
  • gkida
    edited December 1969
    roustem wrote:
    Chris,

SO what you are saying is that you guys think it is more IMPORTANT to sync between a computer and the iPhone than 2 computers?

Reading your post sounds to me like the engineers are just being lazy.
  • KraetzichriZ
    edited December 1969
    No one is lazy, of course not.

But after 9 month's of waiting (bought 1Password and 1Password Touch Pro for iPhone and iPad) there is nothing to show and nothing working.
    I'm a bit disappointed.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Locker
    Locker
    Community Member
    edited May 2010
    I don't want to use a free service and store my life with all my passwords on this service...

I too am concern about clear titles & URLs on public servers, even if they promise me that it is encrypted there. It's enough that I managed to trust 1PW that there are no weaknesses past the publicly known AES 128-bit key (BTW: It seams that more 256-bit keys are being used than before).

Dropbox seems to be a good/convenient way to sync, as well as free, if you are using it moderately. Even WebDav on your own server will not solve the uissue of clear titles & URLs. Sysadmins and any bad guy that can break to your system can look at it.

I would 'urgently' would like to see an attempt to solve my paranoiac concern (short of medical treatment), so I too can enjoy the Dropbox experience (and now the Sandbox 'thing')., At different times I mentioned it in different posts (time to bring all together into one thread). I understand why 1PW needs quick access to Titles & URL's. Recently I came with another brilliant idea ("IMHO") :) of having a separate index file that is on your local machine. it can be generated any time from your keychain which will be fully encrypted (including titles & URLs), and can thus be stored/synced outside on another server.

BTW: The statement in <http://agilewebsolutions.com/products/1Password&gt; "No worries: Your data never leaves your computer." probably needs some clarification.

Oh, and a statement "the engineers are just being lazy." is not the case in Agile. From what I can see for quite a while, they are working overtime... and deserve some vacation time (after they attend to all my demands, of course :) )
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I see that Locker has the priorities straight: from now on we'll do things for Locker first and everyone else has to line up behind that. Let the pushing and shoving begin! :)

We do appreciate hearing everyone's opinions about what's important to them and we realize that there's no way we can work on everything in the same timeframe so we have to choose. We're working to make the Dropbox integration and syncing among our application platforms just as simple as we can so that customers having trouble with Wi-Fi syncing (for whatever reasons) aren't completely stuck. The "real" Dropbox team made their API available to us and for us to make sure it provides what we need we had to act right away to start using and testing it. That's one of the reasons that we tell you what we intend to do, but not in what timeframe — we have to stay Agile!

When our Dropbox sync work is done our current plans are that we'll shift gears back to MobileMe/WebDAV as the next sync model. And in our usual fashion, when something is ready you'll see it available in a build within short order: you won't have to wait for a 12-18 month release cycle for features.
  • Locker
    Locker
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    MartyS wrote:
    I see that Locker has the priorities straight: from now on we'll do things for Locker first and everyone else has to line up behind that. Let the pushing and shoving begin! :)
    I like your position :)
  • jim101
    jim101
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    roustem wrote:

Dear Roustem,

in addition to having developed a great software, all of the Agile team generally provide a great customer support. And the user community has every reason to be thankful to you guys for that. However, fact is that MobileMe Sync has been the #1, i.e. top priority, request since September 2009 with 4,742 views. Suprisingly, this time you have failed to acknowledge this very simple fact. There are people out there that do not - for whatever reason - trust Dropbox, but they (have) trust(ed) you. Clearly, this time you have failed to respect your customer demands on a major issue.

Best wishes,
    Jim
  • rob
    rob
    edited December 1969
    jim101 wrote:
    Dear Roustem,

in addition to having developed a great software, all of the Agile team generally provide a great customer support. And the user community has every reason to be thankful to you guys for that. However, fact is that MobileMe Sync has been the #1, i.e. top priority, request since September 2009 with 4,742 views. Suprisingly, this time you have failed to acknowledge this very simple fact. There are people out there that do not - for whatever reason - trust Dropbox, but they (have) trust(ed) you. Clearly, this time you have failed to respect your customer demands on a major issue.

Best wishes,
    Jim

Hello Jim, and thanks for the comments.

We actually have had several highly requested features. Chrome extension requests have far topped MobileMe or Dropbox sync, and custom wallet items have been requested plenty as well, just not in one specific thread. The problem is, as Marty stated, that we cannot work on everything at once. We have certainly made progress with MobileMe sync, as well as the Chrome extension and custom wallet items. Dropbox was simply easier to release first. Believe it or not, there are also many users who use Dropbox and dislike MobileMe. Since Dropbox is free, releasing support for it means that sync is technically available to everyone, except those who do not want to run another app just to sync 1Password items, which is fully understandable. We have been and are still working on it, and we don't plan to disappoint you.

Thanks for your understanding!
  • lee_sf
    edited December 1969
    <Rob /> wrote:
    Chrome extension requests have far topped MobileMe or Dropbox sync
    Yes. 1Password integration with Chrome is a bigger issue for me at this point than sync (and usable bookmarks in Chrome, but that's a different thread, as well as a different company).

I've stopped caring about MobileMe sync. I paid the time price to figure out Dropbox, it's working pretty well, I'm probably not going to change back unless it stops working for some reason.

...Lee
  • KraetzichriZ
    edited December 1969
    Any news here? Still waiting... even no final Dropbox implementation :/
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    on the Dropbox note.

They have been making some changes behind the scenes that have also affected Agile's development. Causing it slow down, even possibly backtrack a little. Mind you this was no fault of Agile's but this is to be expected when 2 companies are working on there respective products 1 can and will sometimes not work with the others changes.
  • KraetzichriZ
    edited December 1969
    Now 2 weeks are gone, again.

Any news?

No Dropbox Sync working.
    No MobileMe Sync working.

:(
  • rob
    rob
    edited December 1969
    Now 2 weeks are gone, again.

Any news?

No Dropbox Sync working.
    No MobileMe Sync working.

:(

Yep, Dropbox syncing is very close. We'll be releasing support for syncing to your iOS device via Dropbox soon! The reason it has not been supported was that the Dropbox team changed the API and we were waiting for it to become stable before we implemented support for it, as described in this thread.
  • KraetzichriZ
    edited December 1969
    very close?
    Are we talking about weeks or months?
  • rob
    rob
    edited December 1969
    very close?
    Are we talking about weeks or months?

Weeks or less. It's undergoing testing at the moment. We want it to be ready before it is released to the public. Thanks for your interest!
  • KraetzichriZ
    edited December 1969
    Sounds great :)
  • stefanpr
    edited December 1969
    Well I think it's pretty pathetic we're still asking for this - at the end of the day it was 'top priority' a long time ago!!
    How's the windows beta going, btw?
    I'm out of here... (n)
  • rob
    rob
    edited December 1969
    stefanpr wrote:
    Well I think it's pretty pathetic we're still asking for this - at the end of the day it was 'top priority' a long time ago!!
    How's the windows beta going, btw?
    I'm out of here... (n)

Hi stefanpr,

I'm sorry that this wait has been unsettling, but we are still currently planning to implement this. Right now, we are very close to supporting system-wide syncing through Dropbox, a free sync solution that most of our customers already use. The next sync feature we will tackle is MobileMe and WebDAV support. We know that this has been requested for a while, but so have other things. I recently posted about our current goals for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for your interest, and I hope you stick around!
  • KraetzichriZ
    edited December 1969
    Maybe it's not a good idea to promise customers implementing features and on the other side develop a Windows and an Android version.
    Customers are waiting for other important and promised features for, I think round about a year, and nothing - NOTHING - is working at the moment.

The people in this thread are not the only unhappy customers, the forums (well, I'm german and I read german mac forums) are full of threads where people asking why this feature isn't coming.
    (Not only this product by the way - I complain the same stuff about Things from CultureCode...)

Today I need a password on the go, but have it not on my iPhone.
    Why? Well, with WLAN I only sync once a month, or less. With MobileMe or Dropbox Sync, this should be fixed.

I'm really disappointed and I think so much customers are.

Again, how the Windows and Android Beta's are going on?

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    I am sorry that you're disappointed, Chris. You're right, this should be fixed with Dropbox sync, and you can look out for that to appear in our iOS applications soon. The Android and Windows betas are going great, but we have a dedicated Windows developer and a dedicated Android developer. Neither one of these projects is consuming developer resources dedicated to OS X and iOS.

We appreciate everyone's support and patience and look forward to offering you this option soon.
  • OGC
    OGC
    edited December 1969
    First of all, I am here because I love what you are doing and I really want to see myself using this on all of my devices.

I find it strange that you guys, developing on the Mac platform from the beginning (correct me if I am wrong) put the effort into supporting other solutions before Apples own service. Mac users love the way the Mac works, simplicity and the lack of "clutter of services" is one of the main things.
    One of the reasons I bought this is to have all of my stuff nicely synced, this is one of the few pieces of software that I am happy to put my money towards, it would be a shame waiting for a sync-service for a couple of months.

Please keep up the good work, and think about all of us out here loving the seamless config.

/ OGC
  • rob
    rob
    edited December 1969
    OGC wrote:
    First of all, I am here because I love what you are doing and I really want to see myself using this on all of my devices.

I find it strange that you guys, developing on the Mac platform from the beginning (correct me if I am wrong) put the effort into supporting other solutions before Apples own service. Mac users love the way the Mac works, simplicity and the lack of "clutter of services" is one of the main things.
    One of the reasons I bought this is to have all of my stuff nicely synced, this is one of the few pieces of software that I am happy to put my money towards, it would be a shame waiting for a sync-service for a couple of months.

Please keep up the good work, and think about all of us out here loving the seamless config.

/ OGC

Hi OGC, and welcome to the forums!

As I'm sure you know Dropbox syncing is a seamless sync solution that is coming soon. MobileMe syncing is something that we started to tackle first, but changed directions for a few reasons:

1. Minor: there was an issue that disrupted our development of syncing through MobileMe. We will have another look, but we wanted to get automatic syncing out quickly.
    2. Major: Dropbox is free; MobileMe is not. - It's easier to get users using a free service that they weren't using than a paid service they weren't using. With that said, we understand that paying MobileMe users want to be able to use that service for syncing since they are paying for it.
    3. Major: Dropbox is already being used by thousands of users to sync their data between their Macs and now Windows machines. It makes sense for us to go ahead and implement syncing for a service we have already recommended in the past.

I hope that makes sense. We're certainly still planning to support sync solutions other than Dropbox; we just want to get Dropbox syncing out and working first.

Thanks for the feedback!
  • OGC
    OGC
    edited December 1969
    <Rob /> wrote:
    Hi OGC, and welcome to the forums!

As I'm sure you know Dropbox syncing is a seamless sync solution that is coming soon. MobileMe syncing is something that we started to tackle first, but changed directions for a few reasons:

1. Minor: there was an issue that disrupted our development of syncing through MobileMe. We will have another look, but we wanted to get automatic syncing out quickly.
    2. Major: Dropbox is free; MobileMe is not. - It's easier to get users using a free service that they weren't using than a paid service they weren't using. With that said, we understand that paying MobileMe users want to be able to use that service for syncing since they are paying for it.
    3. Major: Dropbox is already being used by thousands of users to sync their data between their Macs and now Windows machines. It makes sense for us to go ahead and implement syncing for a service we have already recommended in the past.

I hope that makes sense. We're certainly still planning to support sync solutions other than Dropbox; we just want to get Dropbox syncing out and working first.

Thanks for the feedback!

Keep it up!
This discussion has been closed.