Seamless use of 1Password on iOS, windows and android (using multiple PCs/Macs etc)

Options
maverick_iceman
maverick_iceman
Community Member

Firstly, if this topic has already been discussed then apologies but a quick search didn't help me so here's my question/issue and any help would be greatly appreciated.
I recently purchased 1PW (website version) for Mac and I have started generating and storing passwords in there and like every 1PW user I find it awesome and a great help. If I always used my Mac and iOS devices where I could install anything "I" wanted then there is no problem and everything is hunky dory, but I also have a work laptop (Windows 7), family PC (windows 8) and android phone (KitKat) and that's where my problem starts. I'm finding it almost impossible to use 1PW seamlessly on all platforms.

Important: On my office PC I'm not allowed to install anything not even browser extensions so here's my questions:

Q1: How do I use the stored password while I'm on my office PC? (I'm aware of 1PWanywhere (using Dropbox) where I can copy paste the PWs but is there more elegant way that I'm missing, or is copy paste the only option?

Q2: I installed 1PW browser extension (on Chrome and Firefox) on our family PC, but that kept giving error message about 1PW helper (again followed the steps already mentioned in 1PW website such as switching off firewall and AV, but no use). Then I installed the 1PW for windows and it started to work, so do I have to install a fully licensed version of 1PW on windows to access my passwords on windows PC (that would be a serious bummer)? Can the browser extensions work without 1PW physically installed on my PC? If so how and how to solve the helper issue (l have already tried AV and firewall options- didn't work). I'm running windows 8.

Q3: While I was using 1PW on my family PC, it wanted access to my Dropbox (for the keychain file), now here's my issue, its a common PC and ideally I wouldn't want my keychain file physically existing on the PC (I'm aware its encrypted and can only be decrypted with my password, but I'm still paranoid about the PC dying one day and someone (repair guy) accessing my dropbox folder- call me crazy or imaginative!). Do I have to have the keychain file on my PC for 1PW to work? Could it not be connected to cloud through login and updated as and when the cloud keychain file is updated?

Q4: I think being on Android is not very good if you plan to use 1PW because there are no options for browser extension or cross-talk between 1PW and other apps such as gmail or Amazon, is that correct or have I missed something? I would have expected 1PW to be equally amazing on Android since now there are more Android users than iOS, any ideas if I'm missing something? Is there any way I could make use of 1PW on my android phone?

Phew! that's a lot of questions and trust me I'm no noob, I have watched the course on lynda.com and quite a few videos on youtube but I'm still not able to use 1PW seamlessly between Windows, android, iOS and OSX.....

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Please note that I've deleted the three duplicate copies of your post.

Stephen

• maverick_iceman
    maverick_iceman
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, for some reason I thought it wasn't being submitted and I went a bit click-happy!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @maverick_iceman‌

Q1: How do I use the stored password while I'm on my office PC? (I'm aware of 1PWanywhere (using Dropbox) where I can copy paste the PWs but is there more elegant way that I'm missing, or is copy paste the only option?

I'm glad to hear that you're aware of 1PasswordAnywhere. Unfortunately, that's the best solution we have for you at this time. 1Password is a software program, so if you're not able to install software, your options are a bit limited. ;)

Q2: I installed 1PW browser extension (on Chrome and Firefox) on our family PC, but that kept giving error message about 1PW helper (again followed the steps already mentioned in 1PW website such as switching off firewall and AV, but no use). Then I installed the 1PW for windows and it started to work, so do I have to install a fully licensed version of 1PW on windows to access my passwords on windows PC (that would be a serious bummer)? Can the browser extensions work without 1PW physically installed on my PC? If so how and how to solve the helper issue (l have already tried AV and firewall options- didn't work). I'm running windows 8.

The browser extension does require the main app in order to function. 1Password is sold separately for each platform, so your Mac license allows you to install 1Password on as many Macs as you and your family use, but you will need to buy the Windows license separately. To make it less of a bummer, we have a bundle available on our website for users who want to use 1Password on both Mac and Windows. Since you purchased 1Password from our website, all you need to do is enter your UUID in on our upgrade page. The details you need should be in the email you received with your license, but if you're having a hard time tracking them down, please let me know the name and email address that you used to purchase 1Password and I can track your existing license down in our records.

Q3: While I was using 1PW on my family PC, it wanted access to my Dropbox (for the keychain file), now here's my issue, its a common PC and ideally I wouldn't want my keychain file physically existing on the PC (I'm aware its encrypted and can only be decrypted with my password, but I'm still paranoid about the PC dying one day and someone (repair guy) accessing my dropbox folder- call me crazy or imaginative!). Do I have to have the keychain file on my PC for 1PW to work? Could it not be connected to cloud through login and updated as and when the cloud keychain file is updated?

Dropbox works by syncing a folder on one computer with the cloud (and then to any other computers or devices that you wish.) So, short of using 1PasswordAnywhere (which simply reads the 1Password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox), your data file will be on your computer. But it is great to know that you are thinking strongly about the security of your data - thats what we like to see!

I'd like to tell you a bit more about how your data is encrypted with 1Password. 1Password uses an exceedingly secure encryption algorithm called AES. Even if someone were to acquire a copy of your 1Password data file (either from your computer or the cloud), it would be extremely difficult (approaching impossible in a human lifetime) for them to actually gain access to your passwords without your Master Password. To learn more about cloud data security, have a read through the following article.

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-for-mac-knowledgebase/4/en/topic/cloud-safety

And you can see the thoughts behind our data format's design here.

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/Security/keychain-design.html

Also, you can check out our blog for many more articles that go into the nitty gritty math behind what makes 1Password so secure.

http://blog.agilebits.com/tag/cryptography_/

Q4: I think being on Android is not very good if you plan to use 1PW because there are no options for browser extension or cross-talk between 1PW and other apps such as gmail or Amazon, is that correct or have I missed something? I would have expected 1PW to be equally amazing on Android since now there are more Android users than iOS, any ideas if I'm missing something? Is there any way I could make use of 1PW on my android phone?

Filling in other applications and external browsers like Chrome and Firefox are not supported at this time. However, we think filling in third-party browsers and other applications will improve the overall 1Password experience on mobile platforms. Our team is currently looking and testing new ways to accomplish this on the Android side . I'll add your vote for this request. In the meantime, if you tap on the URL, you can use 1Password's internal browser to perform filling on login sites.

I hope this helps, but if you have more questions, you know where to find us!

• maverick_iceman
    maverick_iceman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,
    Many thanks for your reply. It's very helpful so in short I was not missing anything :smile:

Okay I'll look into upgrading to dual platform...and hoping to see some awesome features on android platform :smiley:

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014
    Options

On behalf of @Megan‌ I'm happy to hear we've answered all of your questions @maverick_iceman‌ :smile:

This discussion has been closed.