Using 1Password 5 with a combination of Mavericks and Yosemite Macs

Options
madman2014
madman2014
Community Member

Hello,
I just started using 1Password 5 on my MacBook Air that has Yosemite installed (downloaded from App Store). I would also like to use it on my iMac that has Mavericks installed (I do not plan to update that to Yosemite currently because of potential incompatibilities with other software on the iMac). However, the App Store on the iMac does not allow me to install 1Password 5. Is there a way I can still use 1Password on the iMac, and sync via Dropbox?
Thanks!

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @madman2014‌

Thanks for supporting 1Password! Unfortunately, the App Store doesn't offer legacy versions, so you'll have to use 1Password 4 from our website instead. You can download a copy from our downloads page - just scroll to the bottom for the Legacy versions.

Please send your Mac App Store receipt in to support+forums@agilebits.com along with a link to this thread and we'll be happy to generate a version 4 license for you. (The download comes with a 30-day free trial though, so you can get all set up without waiting for the license.)

Dropbox should work just fine for you, although I do have to mention that because of the changes to iCloud between Mavericks and Yosemite, you won't be able to use iCloud to keep the two versions in sync.

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions or concerns. :)

• mchapman
    mchapman
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

I just upgraded my wife's computer to Yosemite and one of my sons upgraded her to 1Password 5. My computer is still on Mavericks but will get to Yosemite eventually. However, syncing has stopped working. I understand that this is because iCloud syncing no longer works with the webstore version. I could move back to Dropbox (which I abandoned because it was not working very well for me). However, I hesitate to install it on my wife's computer because I use it primarily for work and her computer is a bit older and I don't want to add the processing overhead.

All that to say I can't figure out how to get her computer running Yosemite and 1Password 5 to sync with my computer and my iPad.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mchapman,

I hesitate to install it on my wife's computer

Are you referring to Dropbox? If so, I don't think that would typically cause a noticeable slow-down on her Mac.

Your best option to sync 1Password data between Mavericks, Yosemite, and an iPad would be Dropbox. You could also use Wi-Fi sync, although that won't work directly between the two Macs.

• mchapman
    mchapman
    Community Member
    Options

Wi-Fi sync would not work because her computer is not using that to connect to the Internet (some internal network issues necessitated this). I am a bit antsy about returning to dropbox because I had all sorts of sync problems with it. Which is why I turned to iCloud.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mchapman‌ Unfortunately iCloud was changed massively and how Mavericks and iOS 7 perform an iCloud sync is just incompatible with how Yosemite and iOS 8 do. 1Password 5 moved to the new CloudKit framework which is how apps will sync using iCloud from now on and they did so because even Apple realised the old system wasn't working very well. For iCloud syncing to work in 1Password 5 you need to upgrade your iCloud to the new version but doing so cuts off access to all devices running Mavericks and iOS 7. This is one of those moments where Apple deemed a change necessary and opted for ripping the band-aid off quickly rather than slowly, something you'll have seen before if you've used Apple hardware for any length of time.

If you do decide to give Dropbox another try the forums will be here to assist if necessary.

This discussion has been closed.