Master password vs PIN

Options
bobbbie
bobbbie
Community Member

Hi, the version 5 upgrade made a very frustrating change that only effects iPad users I believe. With version 4, the 1password browser could be set to require master password on startup, but PIN on each subsequent use of the app. That is, until a designated time passed, such as 5 minutes. This was ideal, because then I could enter the long master password once, and then actively use the browser while only entering the quick pin as I swap between apps. Now I either have to enter the master password 100% of the time, or the PIN 100% of the time. For me, this makes the app either too insecure in my work setting, or too cumbersome to use for real work (which requires lots of swaps between apps). This thankfully does not effect folks with TouchID. But I'm not about to upgrade my top of the line 6-month old iPad just because I now need TouchID to use 1password. What am I missing? Thank you for any assistance.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bobbbie,

Thanks for your feedback about this! There were some changes in version 5.1 to simplify the Auto-Lock settings. There are various reasons for those changes, but I can understand why you prefer the way it used to work.

Please note that in 1Password 5 for iOS, in order to enable the PIN Code option, you must also enable the device passcode. This adds some extra security. Also, when the PIN Code option is enabled, you will still be asked for your Master Password when you do any of the following:

• Restart your iOS device
    • Enter an incorrect PIN code
    • Use the Lock Now feature in the Security settings of 1Password

So, if want to be asked for your Master Password the next time you open the 1Password app, a simple solution is to tap the Lock Now option.

Hopefully this helps!

• cdenesha
    cdenesha
    Community Member
    Options

I prefer the old way as well. I came to the forum to write a bug report about getting a prompt for PIN after the timeout value, as I expected a master password. If there is a tally being kept please add my vote to it. Thanks, chris

• MrRooni
    edited February 2015
    Options

Noted, thanks Chris!

ref: OPI-1880

• cdenesha
    cdenesha
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you.

I would like to add further that I believe the current implementation is not just different, but less secure. If I swipe 1Password out of memory, I should have to enter my master password again. Instead, there is not even a prompt for a PIN. Also, I am not the only person in my household with the passcode to my iPad - I would prefer a master passcode if my daughter has gotten ahold of my iPad, or at the very least a complex PIN.

Please consider keeping the old functionality of a timeout, even if it has to be turned on as a feature.

Thank you,

chris

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cdenesha, when using the PIN Code feature in 1Password, we strongly recommend you use a different PIN than the one you use to unlock your device. (I'm not sure if that's what you meant about your daughter knowing your device passcode, but I wanted to mention it just in case.)

If you'd like to quickly switch to the Master Password instead of the PIN Code, there are still a few options:

• If 1Password is locked, enter an incorrect PIN code
    • If 1Password is unlocked, go to Settings > Security > Lock Now
    • Disable the PIN code option

I know you'd still prefer the way it used to work, and we've noted your feedback, but I wanted to give a few suggestions for now in case it helps. Thanks!

• everedy803
    everedy803
    Community Member
    Options

I have a very long master password (16 characters) that must be entered after a reboot. I found that in landscape mode on the iPad Air 2, I can't enter more than about 13 characters. I have to switch to portrait to enter the full 16 characters.

• Hi @everedy803‌,

I have a very long master password (16 characters) that must be entered after a reboot.

That's intentional, rebooting will force 1Password into prompting you for the master password. It's the same way Apple requires you to enter the device passcode after rebooting.

I found that in landscape mode on the iPad Air 2, I can't enter more than about 13 characters. I have to switch to portrait to enter the full 16 characters.

It's a known iOS 8 bug, we've filed a bug report with Apple but so far, no news yet. Either rotating or force-quitting the app to reopen it should fix the issue.

• bobbbie
    bobbbie
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the detailed replies. To reiterate, this change has made the app effectively useless without TouchID. The alternate suggestions are not really helpful. Please return the functionality asap for those of without TouchID.

• Thanks for the feedback, @bobbbie!

This discussion has been closed.