Frustrated with reseting master password

Options
Christian Pauling
Christian Pauling
Community Member

Hey there,

I accidently forgot my master key and tried to reset it. I followd the instructions given on the FAQ but couldn't find any 1Password keychain in the library/Application Support. So I tried to completly deinstall the program. ( I also used a program to detect hidden parts of the programm ( iBoost Up Premium), it showed me to files in the /private area which I also deleted. Reinstalling 1Password it somehow asks me again for my MasterKey... Where is the part i missed to delete or is there something already included inside the download from the appstore which I have to remove?
(I am using it on Yosemite, newest Version and download 1Password over the Appstore) Is someone able to help me with this?

Best regards

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi @Christian Pauling

Here's a link to our guide on Starting over. In it you'll find that depending on where you've purchased 1Password from will decide where the data files are stored, in the case of the MAS it's:

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper.

Let us know if that sorts you out or if you have any further questions then post here and we'll do our best to assist.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi @Christian Pauling

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been having trouble starting fresh with 1Password!

but couldn't find any 1Password keychain in the library/Application Support.

You're not looking for a 1Password.agilekeychain file in Application Support. The 1Password.agilekeychain file format is used only for data stored in Dropbox or using Folder Sync. Your local data is in a different format, so if you were searching specifically for a 1Password.agilekeychain file, you wouldn't find anything in the Application Support folder.

Our Starting Over guide in the Knowledgebase should point you at the files that need to be removed in order for 1Password to start with a clean slate. For the Mac App Store version, the files are in the

~/Library/Containers folder.

Look for the 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper and move the entire folder to the desktop.

After you reboot your Mac, 1Password should open as a new user. (As stated in the instructions, you'll need to be sure you fully quit 1Password and the 1Password mini before moving this file and restarting your Mac.

Make sure you create a strong and memorable Master Password this time! Our security guru has a guide to help you pick a great one: Towards Better Master Passwords.

This discussion has been closed.