Help with 1 Password between iPad and MacBook

Options
rmovcen
rmovcen
Community Member

If this is not the correct forum please point me in the right direction. I'm having (have always had) problems syncing my Mac Mini, MacBook and iPad. They have never been in sync. I've tried both Dropbox and WiFi sync. Can't figure it out. I am rather tech savvy but lost with this problem. Anyone offering to lead me through the steps? I am running 1Password for iPad 3.7.2 and 1Password 4.4.3 on MacBook and Mac Mini. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@rmovcen‌ I have moved your post to the 1P for Mac forum where it's more likely you will get help.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi @rmovcen‌

Unfortunately you will struggle to get those three to sync so it isn't because you're missing anything obvious.

The troublesome part is 1Password for iPad. During the major overhaul from 1Password 3 to 1Password 4 a lot changed and I really do mean a lot. Wi-Fi sync changed dramatically and it meant that between Mac and iOS devices both had to be running the same version e.g. v3 or v4 but not a mix.

The other big change is at the same time Dropbox changed their API which resulted in 1Password 3 being cut off from using Dropbox.

So you have a couple of options. If your iOS device is runningiOS 8 you could use 1Password 5 for iOS and that would sync using either Wi-Fi or Dropbox with both of your other machines. The other option is on one of your machines you run two copies of 1Password, both versions 3 and 4. You'd use 1Password 3 exclusively for bridging the Wi-Fi sync gap between your iOS device and your Macs.

Either way we'll want to get Dropbox going to sync the Macs. We have a guide for Syncing using Dropbox but it would be best to figure out where we stand first.

Ignoring your iOS device for the moment, what is the current state of the vaults on your two machines? By this I mean, do you have unique entries on both that you would need to keep, does one machine hold an entire copy of your good data? For example, if you told me that your Mac Mini holds all of your good data and the MacBook has an incomplete vault or out of date stuff I'd give you steps for deleting that vault, set up syncing on your Mac Mini and then have the MacBook pull down a fresh copy of that vault. That doesn't work though if you have unique items in there you wish to keep.

Once we've got those two machines syncing we can work on getting your iOS device into the mix too.

This discussion has been closed.