What's the proper way to add a new website to 1Password?

Options
kazooless
kazooless
Community Member

I really really love the idea of 1Password, but I am finding that it still has a long way to go before it is completely user friendly. I've been in the IT field for 18 years now, so working with new software is something I do quite often. I have a good sense of a products ease of use or lack thereof, and I am finding that there is much room for improvement. As much as I've had to work to learn the ins and outs of this, there is no way my wife is going to fully use this software as it stands now.

Anyway, I created a new account with an online bank recently, so I'll use this as an example.

When creating a new account, typically a site will ask you for your username, a new password and a confirmation password. Of course we want to use 1Password generator, so we do. But to remember the password we have to tell 1Password to create a new login based on the forms. However, the URL's for creating an account are usually not the same as the URL's to actually log in. Additionally, in this particular case, the bank has a multi-page login. First it asks for the username and a submission. Then it asks for a security question to be answered and then a submission. Lastly it asks for the password and a submission.

After much manual editing, I am still trying to get this to work correctly and automatically. I've read different KB articles on multi-page logins, and yet it still doesn't quite work.

Please walk me through how you would go about this, keeping in mind that the answer actually needs to be something that my wife would need to follow.

Thanks,

kazooless

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kazooless,

We appreciate your feedback! I'm sorry you're having some difficulty with 1Password. Our developers try to make it as user friendly as possible, however filling login forms can sometimes be more complicated than we'd like. This is because login forms work differently on just about every website that has them - there are millions of sites programmed by hundreds of thousands of developers using many different technologies that adhere only loosely to dozens of "standards", so it's tough to accommodate all of them.

When it comes to sites that ask for your username and password on different pages (a method often used by financial sites) it can be even trickier. It sounds like you may have taken a look at our knowledgebase article on Creating a multi-page Login (or if not, you really should). For many sites like that, you can often create one Login item and have 1Password fill the correct field on each page (keep in mind that you'll need to invoke the 1Password extension on each page).

For sites where that doesn't work, you'll need to create a separate Login item for each page - in other words, create one Login item for the URL that asks for your username, a separate Login item for the URL that asks for your password, and so on. This is described in further details at the bottom of the Creating a multi-page Login article.

You also asked about saving a new Login item when signing up on a new website, and how the signup page has a different URL than the regular login page. In many cases, 1Password will still be able to fill the normal login form correctly. If it doesn't, you can manually save a new Login item on the regular login page. For the most reliable form filling, we always recommend saving Logins on the page where you intend to fill them.

As I mentioned earlier, just about every site with a login form works a bit differently, so we can't guarantee the same steps to save a Login item will work with every website you use. If you're having trouble with a specific site, please let us know the URL, and we'll do our best to help figure out how to make things work.

I hope this helps, but please let us know if you have more questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.