How do enable British Language text?

Options
smallcheese
smallcheese
Community Member

Hi folks,

I've done some digging around the forums and I can see it is probably possible, but I'm struggling to get my 1Password GUI showing up in British English. I can see folks appear to have contributed translations via Crowdin - is there something I need to do to make them active for me? I have my Mac set to English UK and my region the same.

Cheers!
Tom

Comments

• Hi @smallcheese‌,

1Password should use the system language and localize to it. There's no special toggle or anything to switch, it should just key into whatever the rest of the Mac is set to. If you recently changed the Mac's language and haven't done a restart since, that may be beneficial.

• smallcheese
    smallcheese
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Chris, I've definitely done a restart as OS X prompted me to do so, but still showing 'Social Security Numbers'...

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Social Security Numbers is a Category in 1Password, which isn't going to get translated to a different name. Category names can't be changed, and so far, new categories cannot be added by the user. There have been several users who have posted here asking that this category be made less US-centric. Until the developers make a change, I'm afraid it will stay as Social Security Numbers.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, there is a UK English translation on Crowdin: I know because I did it. :) I think what we're really waiting for is for the developers to incorporate that localisation into a build of 1Password.

Stephen

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

@Stephen_C - I'm curious, will the UK localization ( ;) ) change the category names away from Social Security Numbers? I ask because I've seen complaints here from several other users about that category not applying to their nationality.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

will the UK localization ( ;) ) change the category names away from Social Security Numbers?

@hawkmoth yes, I believe so. The localisations ( :) ) include, so far as I'm aware, all text strings used in both OS X and iOS programs (at least, it certainly felt like that when I was going through them: there are pages and pages of the stuff!).

Stephen

• I'll poke development to make sure the UK localizations are pulled in for the next release or the release after (we're at the end of a development cycle right now). I hadn't realized @Stephen_C‌'s contributions hadn't been pulled in yet.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Many thanks @chrisdj‌. Have a good Christmas.

Stephen

• SaraMinisterOfMagic
    edited December 2014
    Options

Merry Christmas to you too @Stephen_C :)

• smallcheese
    smallcheese
    Community Member
    Options

Still didn't get pulled into the latest beta :(

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

@smallcheese - You can gain access to the Mac beta by going to 1Password Preferences > Updates and checking the box to include betas. It's an open beta. The iOS betas are not open to all, and as far as I know, there are no new testers being accepted at this time.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@smallcheese the British UK localisation has not yet been incorporated in the Mac beta series. I am waiting for it to appear some day. (I'm not on the iOS beta program but as the translations are for both OS X and iOS I'm sure the position is the same with the iOS betas.)

Stephen

• smallcheese
    smallcheese
    Community Member
    Options

@hawkmoth @Stephen_C‌ I'm in both beta programs. After what @chrisdj said above I was expecting to see the localisations pulled into the Mac beta series, and there have been a couple of releases since that post.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@smallcheese - Ah, I misunderstood. Perhaps "release" refers to official release, not beta then.

• @smallcheese‌ @Stephen_C @hawkmoth Sorry, I did mean official release, not beta release. I did make development aware of this and was told they'd take a look. As for a timetable, I don't imagine it will be 5.1 official release as we are wrapping up that beta cycle for release. We don't like to incorporate big changes near release time.

Hopefully it can be incorporated into a near-future release.

• smallcheese
    smallcheese
    Community Member
    Options

@Stephen_C Hi Stephen, I was just wondering if you had decided on calling "Credit Cards" "Payment Cards" instead, which seems a more suitable fit. I actually think this should be what it's called generically, I have more debit cards in that category than credit cards!

Cheers! Still looking forward to the UK localisations. Yes folks, localiSations... :wink: Whenever you're ready 1P! :smiley:

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@smallcheese‌ translation is a delicate art. I have always felt it proper to follow, in essence, the language of the original rather than to try to make personal "improvements" when translating. I don't see the latter as the role of a translator.

Put another way, while I may agree with your sentiment I believe the proper way to achieve what you want is via a feature request, rather than to have one translation wander off into new territory. :)

And, yes, I shall be very happy when the UK localisation finally makes it into a release version.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015
    Options

And, yes, I shall be very happy when the UK localisation finally makes it into a release version.

After all the effort you've put in @Stephen_C I don't blame you :smile:

• Foxandxss
    Foxandxss
    Community Member
    Options

To not open a new post... I am evaluating 1pw and I have a question: It is impossible to change the language if you want to maintain your OSX language? My mac is in spanish (mother tongue) but I want 1pw to be in English. I am sorry to say but the spanish translation is a bit horrible sometimes. There are a lot of broken sentences, yoda-like sentences and weird stuff I don't even understand.

Thank you.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

@Foxandxss : There is no setting in 1Password for Mac that allows you to change the app's language, at least not a visible one. 1Password for iOS does have such a setting, but for Mac your best option is to use a language switching app such as Language Switcher or App Language Chooser:

http://www.tj-hd.co.uk/en-gb/languageswitcher/
    https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/app-language-chooser/id451732904?mt=12

Personally I have used App Language Chooser with some success. Note however that it's not enough to change the language of the main 1Password application. 1Password mini is considered a separate application in this context. You will have to locate 1Password mini in its folder at /Applications/1Password 5.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper.app and use it with the language switching application. You should quit both 1Password and mini before switching. Also, I have seen that zombie minis can be created sometimes, but haven't been able to reproduce the issue consistently. So be sure to keep an eye on Activity Monitor.

One last thing, if you change the language of 1Password, existing items' field names (such as Username) will not have their language changed. You must re-create those items if you want their information in English.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the assist, @Xe997! :)

@Foxandxss, if you need any help with that or have more questions, we're here for you!

• smallcheese
    smallcheese
    Community Member
    Options

1P folks - there have bene a couple of point release versions of 1P released since this discussion began and no sign of integration of @Stephen_C's good work. I hate to say it but there doesn't seem like a great deal of commitment to getting this done. I know it's not a very sexy thing to be able to write in the release notes but it makes a difference to us!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @smallcheese,

I shall chase up the developers on this. I see from 1Password 5.1's changelog we updated the translations so I'll have to enquire as to where we stand there.

While I don't think much about it (I may have become somewhat desensitised) I do have my OS X localisation set to English (UK) so I too would like to see it happen.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

While I don't think much about it...

I tend to. ;)

Any update from the developers would be much appreciated. The work was completed some time ago now and it would be very good to see it filter through into the two apps.

Stephen

• Hi @stephen_c,

Developer here... At this point, I don't think there's anything holding this back other than it needs someone to take the time to click the 178 checkboxes (I may be exaggerating) in Xcode, then add the few lines to our scripts that manage the localization strings, then test it all. We're hoping to get to it in the near-ish future.

I'm sorry that this has taken so long.

Rick

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Rick, much appreciated. I know you developers always have a mass of work to do but it would be good to see this through eventually. Still, bug fixes are still more important than this, I understand. :)

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Stephen_C,

We really appreciate your understanding here - and your hard work in making the localization happen, and we'll do what we can to make sure that you don't have to wait too much longer for this to be implemented. :)

• smallcheese
    smallcheese
    Community Member
    Options

Hey!

So we now have National Insurance Numbers, but we also still have Driver Licenses. @Stephen_C did you include this in your translations? What others should we look out for?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

@smallcheese...you're the lucky one! I've just updated and see no UK localisations at all! (See my post here on the beta forum.) I can assure you every single string was translated so I've no idea why:

1. you see only some; and
    2. I see none at all.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to reply to this—

What others should we look out for?

All American/Canadian English was localised to UK English.

Edit 2: (Sorry!). I've edited my post to which I've linked. I'm thinking now that the localisation isn't extended to the category list (left panel in main app). Do you see the same?

Stephen

• Strange, it should be showing the UK translated strings, like this one is working:

But Software License is showing up instead of Licence.

I'll ping Rick to see what's going on.

This discussion has been closed.